Metal Cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
My daughter was stealing second in a game the Friday and she and the SS arrived at the bag at the same time. My daughter slid into second on a good, clean slide and heard a ripping sound. Her metal cleat caught the SS just above the ankle, ripped through the sock and put a deep, 2 inch long cut into the girl's leg. The girl left in an ambulance, and my daughter freaked out a bit. Turns out the girl needed 26 stitches total. Started an interesting debate about whether metal cleats should be allowed in softball. Any thoughts?

Post script: 2nd day of the tournament (yesterday), daughter's coach tells her that she needs to come with him for a minute. She follows and he introduces the two girls. They share a minute where the other girl assures my daughter she is OK and to not be upset - it happens. My daughter apologized and told her she would never try to hurt anyone and that she's relieved she's OK. A good moment for both girls, I think.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It would not hurt my feelings if metal cleats were made illegal.

ASA just allowed metal cleats at 14U this year so I admit that I am in the minority.

Sounds like in the end everything work out OK for your DD. Sounds like the injured player had the right attitude and enjoys the game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I played with metal cleats from 10 yo, to age 25. We didn't have anything else. I now, find them much safer as far as reducing ankle sprains go. What you do not want to do, is drive a catcher to the hospital with them on and run into the emergency room at a full trot and step onto a marble floor forgetting that you are wearing spikes. :)

I am glad that this story had a happy ending. I am curious as to why she left in an ambulance, though? I agree with going to the hospital (some girls wouldn't have.)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I personally like the metal better, but with wide discrepancies in who will allow and who wont, I will error on the side of caution and stick with molded so we aren't buying two pair... (Ringor pitching toe, $103 plus shipping is too salty for two pair!)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Boys play Little League, Legion, and MS/HS ball in metal cleats. I used them in PONY baseball since 13 growing up in CA. Once, when I was 15, a kid ran me over at home plate on a close play, and he ripped a big gash in my thigh that required 20 stitches in the ER, and I still have the scar. It never occurred to me that metal cleats should be banned from baseball.

Girls can be taught to play softball with metal cleats safely. Coaches need to do more to prepare them to do it. I've spent months with my 12U team this year to straddle the base and breaking them of the habit of going to tag a runner with two hands. This is in situations where they are still wearing rubber cleats, but I know in the next few years these girls will understand why I have them tag with the glove only when a player is sliding into the base.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It would not hurt my feelings if metal cleats were made illegal.

ASA just allowed metal cleats at 14U this year so I admit that I am in the minority.

Sounds like in the end everything work out OK for your DD. Sounds like the injured player had the right attitude and enjoys the game.

Whoa! Hang on, now. When NFHS did this without any science behind their reasoning and I questioned it, I had my head handed to me from OKC on down. My point was that maybe someone should have did a little checking before just making them legal in softball. I suggested that this may be a good idea since there are anatomical differences between the male and female. Man, I got reamed by everyone so bad I will never need PrepH again.

Funny thing though, when I asked an NCAA Rep if they were considering allowing NCAA pitchers leap after the fiasco a few years ago with all the IPs called, the response damn near floored me. She said that they (NCAA) would probably look at it, but not take any action without a study on whether allowing the women to leap would be detrimental to the health and wellbeing of the pitcher due to anatomical differences! Go figure. :)

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry to hear about the injury, I'm glad both players are okay.

I don't see as many "slide into the base" plays as I used to. Almost every kid slides behind or in front of the bag (depending on where the ball is coming from) and I believe this facilitates far fewer injuries. On a bang bang play where the baserunner is going to attempt a pop up slide and gets taken by surprise by a much better defense then anticipated, injuries can occur. Even so, I haven't heard a coach teach a defensive player to block the bag in a very long time. They almost always play in front of or behind the bag and sweep tag around the bag.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Boys play Little League, Legion, and MS/HS ball in metal cleats. I used them in PONY baseball since 13 growing up in CA. Once, when I was 15, a kid ran me over at home plate on a close play, and he ripped a big gash in my thigh that required 20 stitches in the ER, and I still have the scar. It never occurred to me that metal cleats should be banned from baseball.

Girls can be taught to play softball with metal cleats safely. Coaches need to do more to prepare them to do it. I've spent months with my 12U team this year to straddle the base and breaking them of the habit of going to tag a runner with two hands. This is in situations where they are still wearing rubber cleats, but I know in the next few years these girls will understand why I have them tag with the glove only when a player is sliding into the base.

boys LL does not allow metal cleats. Hasn't for as long as I can remember.

My dd just got her first pair.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
boys LL does not allow metal cleats. Hasn't for as long as I can remember.

Little League allows metal cleats in Juniors (13/14), Seniors 15/16), and Big League (17/18). They are also considering them for the Intermediate 50/70 division of baseball that includes 12 and 13 year olds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207