Maybe Fastpitch Doesn't Need a MLB swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
I dont understand base paths. Boys from the age of 9 or younger start at 45 I believe. As they get older they increase the distance. Anyone can add on to this and help me with age/distance. My dd started at 10, her travel/tournament team bases were 60 feet. Friggin 10 and 9 years old throwing the ball across the diamond from 3rd or ss. How about the catcher trying to throw runners out at that age? They get older become young women/college/pros its still 60 feet. Maybe 5 feet back wouldnt be so bad.....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agreed, 5 feet would be good. When a track star can hit a ball right a short stop and still make it safe almost everytime, thats too close. Jennifer Fenton stole 72 bases in a row with out getting thrown out, that's too close.

Oct 10, 2011
5 feet

Another point that was brought up was it may be safer for the defense because the hitters are becoming so powerful.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Move the damn bases back at least 5 feet...take that slap and bunt garbage out of the game. At least some of it. You can't even play defense. No double plays. The bases are just way to close. I think moving the bases back will create a much better game.

Totally disagree. If we want girls to play baseball like the boys, then use baseball fields.
Softball is unique. Keep it that way.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's hard to be objective in these discussions. Opinions will differ based on whether our rooting interest (ie, darling daughter) is a power hitter, line-drive hitter, slapper or pitcher. DD is a traditional hitter w/ good but not great power. So let's leave the fences at 200 so she can still hit dingers and move the bases to 65 feet so that those pesky slappers (who compete for her spot in CF) become obsolete.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I have opined this various times so pardon if I'm repeating my rant.
I can't stand to see the big rainbow trajectory clear the fence. An OTF HR should have to be driven, not floated. The same ball that elicits groans in an MLB park because it's a can of corn, is something to cheer about at an NCAA venue.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was watching a high school game last night at our local high school. Their fence is said to be 185 feet, might even be a little shorter. I saw two home runs. One was driven well, banging off the scoreboard. The other one was looped over the fence. I commented then that the second one would've been an out on a standard size field.

On TV (and in our model swings thread) you can definitely see a lot of sub-optimal swings go for home runs. But they still seem to be the exceptions. Most sub-optimal swings seem to go for outs.

Keep in mind that what you're seeing on TV are largely the best players in the country too. You step down from there and you're going to see a whole lot less, at least in my opinion. So what do you do? Change the game to address the upper 10%? Or leave it alone because it's not affecting the other 90%?

Feb 7, 2013
Keep in mind that what you're seeing on TV are largely the best players in the country too. You step down from there and you're going to see a whole lot less, at least in my opinion. So what do you do? Change the game to address the upper 10%? Or leave it alone because it's not affecting the other 90%?

Most 18 - 21 year old college softball players are (or should be) capable a hitting a softball 200 feet. Heck, DD's 12U travel ball team has several girls on it that can hit it 160 - 180 feet, no problem.

I also disagree with your premise that on TV we are seeing exceptional hitters and therefore more home runs. At the lesser D1 & D2 college programs you also have diminished pitching.

It's pretty clear to me that technology, better conditioning, short 200 feet fences has allowed players with average swing mechanics to have high batting averages and slugging %'s.

Conversely, MLB batters have to have near perfect swing mechanics to hit a small ball, pitched from an elevated mound, with a wood bat, over 450 foot fences. MLB also has a multitude of pitchers that batters will face in a game: starters, middle relievers, and closers that makes it more difficult for the batter to adjust to different pitching styles, breaks, and speeds throughout the game.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In Division II, there are currently six players who have hit double-digit home runs. There are 21 who have hit 8 or more. Home runs | Div II Softball Statistics - NCAA.com

In Division I, there are 15 in double digits. Almost a 3X difference. There are 61 with 8 or more.
Home runs | DI Softball Statistics - NCAA.com

This is through roughly 30 games. As the presumed athletic level diminishes, so does the home run output. Both have access to the same technology. Fields for both are likely to have 200 foot fences. But it seems to be tougher to hit a home run in D2 than D1.

That said, I don't disagree that the technology has a lot to do with the higher numbers overall. Dial down the bats and the mechanics become a lot more important. But will you get the non-fanatics to watch on TV?

Swingz

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
Totally disagree. If we want girls to play baseball like the boys, then use baseball fields.
Softball is unique. Keep it that way.

Who said anything about baseball or boys? Bases are to close and its not realistic to do some of the things that close bases allow....it totally takes great defense out of the game. Rewards bad hitting
You can move the mound back also ..I don't care but they are playing on pigmy infields....terrible watching bunt after bunt especially in younger ages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild