"Matrix" - slow motion swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
I really like the idea of Howards 'Matrix' or slow motion swing. My only concern is that it promotes squishing the bug, as you cannot get the forward momentum into the front leg.

Am I missing something as far as getting the correct feel with the lower half when doing the Matrix drill?

I will still use the Matrix to understand the upper half, but am worried of creating bad habits with the lower half.

Any thoughts?

Oct 14, 2008
The Matrix dosent promote squishing the bug. Lack of weight shift does. Blaming the matrix for squishing the bug is like blaming a pencil for bad hand writing. Work on weight shift mechanics, it will fix the issue

Tim

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Basically as weight shifts forward you are walking off the inside edge, ball of rear foot, as weight transitions to inside edge ball of the forward foot at toe touch. There is no squishing the bug , you really need to understand weight shift.

Nov 29, 2011
The Matrix dosent promote squishing the bug. Lack of weight shift does. Blaming the matrix for squishing the bug is like blaming a pencil for bad hand writing. Work on weight shift mechanics, it will fix the issue

Tim

You can get all the weight off your backside doing the 'Matrix'? (up on the back toe, or in some cases off the ground)

I'm not bashing the 'Matrix', I think its extremely valuable!

Nov 29, 2011
Basically as weight shifts forward you are walking off the inside edge, ball of rear foot, as weight transitions to inside edge ball of the forward foot at toe touch. There is no squishing the bug , you really need to understand weight shift.

I understand weight shift, just saying it cannot be done in slow motion, as to how it really happens in game speed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Stever ... many things, correct and incorrect, can be accomplished via slow controlled movements.

It isn't uncommon at all to see someone perform a demonstration in slow motion, and then follow-up with something rather different in their normal speed movements.

I do use slow motion swings ... for one, as a demonstration of one's beliefs and understanding ... also use it as part of a warm up sequence to help build a swing lacking of excess upper body tension.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
You can feel most of the weight transfer into the front side, what % I do not know, but a significant amount. Remember at toe touch you must land on a flexed front knee, inside edge of the ball of the foot. You cannot feel this as well if you are landing flat footed or on a stiff straight leg.

Nov 29, 2011
You can feel most of the weight transfer into the front side, what % I do not know, but a significant amount. Remember at toe touch you must land on a flexed front knee, inside edge of the ball of the foot. You cannot feel this as well if you are landing flat footed or on a stiff straight leg.

In slow motion you can feel the weight transfer into the front side only through the back foot applying pressure in that direction, and keeping that pressure. Thats why I was worried that this can promote bug squishing for many.

In game speed momentum transfers the weight into the front side and the back foot becomes basically weightless at that split second we call POC.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I really like the idea of Howards 'Matrix' or slow motion swing. My only concern is that it promotes squishing the bug, as you cannot get the forward momentum into the front leg.

Am I missing something as far as getting the correct feel with the lower half when doing the Matrix drill?

I will still use the Matrix to understand the upper half, but am worried of creating bad habits with the lower half.

Any thoughts?

I teach the weight shift and toe touch at a different speed. Why not? I also teach parts of it separately which some here disagree with.

Load back leg then start arm phase of the stretch
Stretch into toe touch with weight shift and finish arm stretch.

Epstein style connection drill
Follow through

Then I teach the load and Stretch together/then the hell plant and swing are executed separately.
Then they are combined into one smooth movement.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
You could use a little wedge apparatus for slow motion and emphasizing the weight shift being forwards, not heel back. I have seen what you are describing a number of times... and for many of those hitters, it did not translate to game speed swings... just squishy in slow motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24