Manns bag drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
actually welcome your input always, cannonball, what do think of the different ways to "GET a GRIP"

And how is my DDS grip?

And do you like the 3 fingers grip?

Actually, I gripped a bat in the crease of my fingers and was never taught differently. I'd say that my dd's approach is much like Pujols since that was always the model for her. If you can imagine the lift of the elbow due to the angle of the wrist like Pujols, you would see a lot of what she does in an at bat as well. I think it came natural for her although I would say that there have been times when she has been more of a box grip. That from her talking to her teammates and trying things. The area of the palms stings a lot in areas of colder weather in the spring and so, many hitters place that bat in that fold area using the calluses of the hand to absorb some of the the sting. To be honest, I never addressed grip as a HS coach.

RD, 4,000 post. I hope to someday know that much. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2013
Actually, I gripped a bat in the crease of my fingers and was never taught differently. I'd say that my dd's approach is much like Pujols since that was always the model for her. If you can imagine the lift of the elbow due to the angle of the wrist like Pujols, you would see a lot of what she does in an at bat as well. I think it came natural for her although I would say that there have been times when she has been more of a box grip. That from her talking to her teammates and trying things. The area of the palms stings a lot in areas of colder weather in the spring and so, many hitters place that bat in that fold area using the calluses of the hand to absorb some of the the sting. To be honest, I never addressed grip as a HS coach.

RD, 4,000 post. I hope to someday know that much. Congratulations!
Your t/p ratio is off the charts at over 2.0.
You're right up there.
FFS and RD will reach the 2000 thanked club soon. FFS will get there this summer.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Mann
I think what you are seeing in some MLB players is correct. I really dont think it is as important for these in shape, muscle bound full grown men to hold a bat like the grip the bat jack teaches. As long as they feel the barrell, all is good.
Albert P I see use's the grip crystal and howard teach.

The same one the bat jack teach's if done right:D Sorry mannn had to throw that out there.:D

Howard used a radar gun at clinics for a few years. Taught the grip before the bat jack was invented. Bat speed with girls of all sized and shapes increased with a better grip.

I work with girls. Some as young as 9. I need to get them to use their whole body including the grip to give them every chance to succeed with their limited weight and strength

SL

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
yes I like the feel of the throw with the open hand type grip, the bat sets into the thump index grove.

Do you like my dds grip?

One thing I notice about the different grips is the angle of the wrist, at contact.
In the Puhols grip, more all fingers, door knuckles close, to lining up, if not lining up, is the down ward angle of the wrist rather that palm up.

Its more palm forward.

Shoot my thread has become a grip thread.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Can I produce a high level swing? no.

i can help them(hitters) hit better. To be able to hit balls in all the zones, high low, in or out.
Create a shorter quicker swing, to hit the ball harder.
I do create confident young ladies, who are proud of themselves.
i strive for the high level pattern, i believe in the Hanson principle.

My dd, struck out twice, in 36 games. my hitters can adjust.

This site, and the posters here, and at bbd, have shoved information down my throat, through clenched teeth, and made me a better coach.

So many young hitters have the same problems, chicken wings, casting, arm barring, bat wrap, out of sequence, dropping the barrel while striding, rolling over.

My new travel team, is much more work, and i have as horter time frame to repair them.

My last team, i started with them in 5th grade, and i was able to grow with them, now they are freshman, and i must work with a new batch or young hitters, this time, new 14u players.

Most were taught... uh.... nothing.

So i had to come up with something quick.

I set up 3 stations, the heavy bag, the tee station, and front toss.
They go through the same rotation at each station.
I start with the hands, teaching a good pivot point, and how to use the hands.
Its a lot like the deltoid drill, so my drills have Epstein, Parker, and Donny Buster components, along with info gleaned from you guys.

I teach rock the u, unrock the u, turn the barrel. along with pivot, and getting "sat"

The drills involve the middle of the swing, from "sat" to contact.

This is one of my girls swing from last year, near the last game of the season.
annabatdropsweepgif-M.gif

We worked with just the heavy bag, first with the connect, then with out.

annawithconnect-M.gif

We worked high and low, staying connected.
Pull back, rock the u, unrock the u, turn the barrel
I know it seems broke down, but it blends well into a nice tight swing
without the connection device.

annanoconnectgif-M.gif

Mann's OP. Now we're back on line!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Ted Williams: "To hit the ball to the best advantage, I recommend an extremely firm grip, the pressure applied by the fingers and not against the palms."

Let it go five. The bat lies from my pinky to my thumb crease, In my tOP HAND not in my palm, and go ahead and ignore any statement on my clips of my dd's grip, or the way some big leaguers get the feel of the thumb crease.
ignore my three finger three finger grip.

do not post any more stuff on grip, or start your own thread. You are so anal.
i'll let you get the last word in

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Once all the kids have gone through the bag work,
annahighbaggif-S.gif

And we are outside, this type of training starts to really pay off.

I set my jugs machine on full speed, it says 70, but my gun says 60 - 62 mph.

And we apply the connection drill. This is how far I want my girls to take their swing EVERY TIME.

takehigh-S.gif

from ConnectionDrill - YouTube
I work on the things he talks about, during the bag drill, as it is difficult to see all the correct mechanics during high speed machine work.

It really does work, it took the girls no time at all to get the ball timed, because of their running start, and the "staying connected" Understanding getting the knob turned, or"DIRECTION" "directing the connection, then "releasing" or "launching" the swing is something that players can understand and learn to do rather quickly.
Communication last night was really good, and the girls actually understood quite well because of the bag work.

Even my youngest player, a fifth grader (yes she is an unusual fifth grader, the younger sister thing) was ripping balls down third base line by the end of practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors