Mako, CF8 or Xeno

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I highly recommend the CF8 -11. It will swing the closest to the Bustos and they have more than enough pop. My daughter has progressed from the CF5 to the CF7 and has a CF8 on the way. She is about 50/50 slapping versus full swing depending on the defense. She can swing a -10 but the -11 gives here more barrel control. She has no problem getting down a bunt or poking on over third. If they play up it has plenty of pop to hit it into the gap.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
They are all good but if she liked the Bustos I'd go with the CF8.

My DD went from Bustos at 8U to CF6 at 10U with good results but I don't think you can go wrong from a performance standpoint with any of the bats mentioned.

As others have said, if she can demo a few that would be ideal. Or if her teammate has one she can swing some time in practice to see what she is comfortable swinging.

May 15, 2015
While it's well short of scientific, my 8yo daughter hit a bucket of balls off of the tee the other day with the the 2016 Xeno Plus and a DeMarini CF8 both in 30/19 configuration. One bucket for each bat.

It could be her swing. It could just be mental. It could be total coincidence. What was obvious though, was that the CF8 was putting the ball about 20' further than the Xeno Plus. Another teammate of hers did the same thing with the exact same results.

Far from conclusive I concede, but sufficient to convince both our girls to swing the CF8.

Sep 3, 2013
Coog we just took our 11 yr old to demo the mako xeno and cf8. She went there having tried out the mako at a camp the week before and her heart was set on it. That was until she swung the xeno. She loved it. No vibration at all and wow what pop. I can't stand the sound the xeno makes but the guys where we demo showed me the inside of the xeno and what makes it have such a unique sound.
The girl that came with us has always been a DeMarini girl and she too prefered the xeno. Her dad and I walked out of there in shock that they both didn't get what they wanted and ended up with the same bat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
My DD (10 years old) has the 2015 LXT, XENO, and the CF7 Insane (yes I know I have a bet problem that needs to be addressed) all in a 31/21. Although the LXT and XENO are fairly new, I can honestly say she like all three bats -she used the insane all season. Having said that, if we were to play in a game right now and she chose which bat to use she would choose the Demarini probably without hesitation. That's nothing against the other two bats, it's just personal preference right now.

I would have never considered the insane until we tried it at a demo site for fun. After just about taking my head off three times we gave it some serious looks and decided to go with it.

I will say she has looked at the mako a few times and she can not get over the length of the barrel and for some reason it really bothers her. She doesn't care to swing it, hit it, or even look at it. Good luck with your decision!!

Aug 12, 2015
My daughter's teammate has a CF8 -11 and she was able to take some swings with it and right away after practice she came over asking if we could get her that bat. I think the decision has been made. She likes the CF8 and many people pick the CF8 over the Mako

Aug 12, 2015
Found a deal I couldn't pass up. Found the Mako 31/21 on clearance online for $124.98! That's $225 off the original retail price.

Apr 28, 2014
Great deal for a Mako..
DD swings the Torq.. Got it for a steal on Ebay... early this year.
Mako's are great bats.