Making Progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
There is no resistance in this swing so the reason for the lack of sequence. Pulling everything is a result of a one piece type swing with no resistance (hips/torso/shoulders all turning together) and fusing the hands to that turn. Players that swing like this and either drop the hands and/or leave them behind will generally hit weakly to the oppo field.

Think about creating resistance by pulling with the lead lat area of the back around the rib cage across the abdomen towards the rear hip as she starts to move to swing. The pelvis should want to try and turn open as the torso/held is held back.

Also improve the arm action - get the front arm to work off the body (up) as the rear elbow works away from the body towards the plate - the barrel will flatten and get on plane earlier.

j2SKne.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Guys,

"locked" is the wrong term. The issue I was having with her was that she was launching the barrel right from go and it was causing her to pull everything and alot of times run out of plate coverage on the outside pitch. So we are trying to keep everything in. Not let the hands get out, not "unlock" the wrists... She was never a pull hitter before. We actually work on hitting oppo constantly, but with both our schedules, it has been hard to get any work in. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

We have been working on the "spin". She is actually quite successful hitter for her level and is worried about changing too much. I tell her we need to take a step back...

This video has the tee a little too much out front and its a little high in her zone. I hope to get some more videos with a ball lower and also her complete swing.

Howe.
Please explain what you mean by "little separation".

FFS
Can you explain "synchronized better"?

Thanks Again
In simple terms … Pivot The Swing … or some might simply view it as “hips ahead of hands/shoulders” … or extra stretch … or overlap … brush off the rear butt cheek to start your swing … lead with the lower body.

The thing is, I’ve seen parents and players frustrate themselves attempting to make this happen with a swing that is out of sequence. Years later they are working on the same thing. Get the sequence correct and such efforts are greatly simplified.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
As some others have already mentioned, she has a one piece swing. Lacking SSC (stretch shortening cycle). You should work on cocking of the wrists/hips/etc at the right time, creating rhythm, flow and sequence. The hands should still be getting to the top while the bottom is moving out. The top hand sequence goes from unload/load/unload OR tip/rip.

Your DD does somewhat match the figure below. The figure below is an old model that few follow anymore.
tumblr_o2ljp4PsWa1usf292o1_250.gif
swingplane1.gif

note: don't confuse "one piece" with "one plane". Though she is "both", there are plenty of high level "one plane" hitters....

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
With her current style, you may want to explore how Brett moved.
BrettSide.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The issue I was having with her was that she was launching the barrel right from go and it was causing her to pull everything and alot of times run out of plate coverage on the outside pitch.
No, the problem wasn't 'launching the barrel right away at go'. The problem was/is your DD swings 'around' her body instead of 'out from' her body.
So we are trying to keep everything in. Not let the hands get out, not "unlock" the wrists.
Your DD needs to 'let the hands get out'. Needs to let the hands/arms swing 'out from' her body. The hands/arms shouldn't be along for the ride around.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Spinner/bug squishier and level swinger. Based on this one swing.
Thanks for the gif RD

I work on throwing mechanics first.

It helps to feel what you are doing.
Flexed front knee, Don't separate arm until you step out, the lower back muscles, and hip drive should pull the back foot up (no squish).
Same as hitting, flexed front knee step softly, don't separate hands back until you step out. Lower back and hip drive should stand up back foot, no bug squish.
This all is easier to teach a kid to feel it with throwing mechanics.

Your daughter should not squish the bug when she throws. You also don't want to do it when you hit.

I call it the elvis move with the feet.

Work on throwing mechanics getting off the back side....it will help with hitting

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
. Not let the hands get out, not "unlock" the wrists

So as for a long going discussion on my part. I have aplayer who alays yells "no oily wrists" what? yes please oil those wrists.

So as i am finding for Pitching, it would be very hard to forcibly snap your wrist, in a manner that is faster than the WHIP that is already present. It could be a great detriment, and actually Impede the whip action. To impart spin, or to say throw a curve or drop, you would actually "assist" the whip, with forearm and fingers and wrist together, thereby "guiding the whip".

I am finding the same for hitting, the wrists might "assist" but in no means is there any "locking" or wrist force into contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom