looking at JCV34 34inch for 12U catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How does the Akadema and the Vinci compare on thumb protection?

The pad along the thumb is very similar. The thinner palm pad gives the Akadema the appearance of a thicker thumb pad when looking at the palm, but looking at the thumb edge, they're very close - definitely more than Mizuno. I'm noticing that the thickmess and shape of the thumb pad on the Akadema really helps to keep the ball in the mitt.

I don't know a college catcher who has switched to another mitt after using a Vinci. IMO, the lack of feel/feedback that EF's DD has experienced will likely become a non-issue when the pitching speeds consistently exceed 55, at which time the 'extra' padding becomes a close friend and valued protector. And if you get one through Casedawg or Chaz, the mitt is a real value compared to others' top end models!

I agree that my DD's issues may not exist with a 12" ball coming at a faster pace. For an 11" ball at 45-50mph, it disappears (for her) once the catch has been made. There's no doubt that Vincis are high-quality mitts at reasonable prices.

Dec 14, 2014
Either your team needs to develop or find another capable catcher or you should probably find her a better team. Catching 90% of the time is too many innings for an 11-12yo with an average TB schedule.

I miss typed the percentage. We have 2 other capable catchers and the coaches make sure that they do not over work the girls.

Oct 10, 2011
DD has the Vinci and loves it. 3 girls on her team pitch in the 60s and she's had no pain at all because of the great padding. Give yourself a lot of time for break in.

Oct 27, 2009
fastpitchparent03, I have both the Vinci JCV-VM and the Akadema Praying Mantis gloves for my DD. There is absolutely NO comparison between the two. The Akadema does not have anywhere near the palm of thumb padding the Vinci does. The Akadema hurt like heck if you catch one in the palm and not the pocket as I can attest. I have used the Akadema myself to warm up our pitchers after my daughter totally rejected this glove because she did not like the feel of it and the sting and after using it myself I see why. I have since gotten her the Vinci and she absolutely loves it. She was a first year 16 at the time of getting the Vinci and with her previous glove she often complained of thumb pain and it was getting to be a real concern so I and purchased first the Akadema which she hated and so I finally broke down and paid the extra money for the Vinci. CaseDawg gave me a great deal on the glove so I was able to invest in a much better glove for my DD. He even went so far as to apply the glove conditioner that is given with each Vinci glove purchase and work it over to loosen it up for us. However once receiving the glove it was evident to me it need much more work because quite frankly while it is lightweight this thing is built like a tank because of the high grade Kip leather and the palm padding. I would sit in the my easy chair at night and worked that thing over for a few nights a week for a month before it was ready for her to use at practice. All her pitchers were throwing upper 50's and one girl low 60's and it didn't take too long after that for her to break that thing in. Once she started using this glove full time the thumb pain eventually went away and is no longer an issue. I wouldn't look back at all from this purchase. Be forewarned that this glove will take time to break-in but it is well worth it in the long run. We have even order a second glove now as a backup in case a string breaks during a tournament or god forbid she loses the glove or it is stolen. When I brought up and issue about the stitching coming apart on the thumb of the glove CaseDawg had me send him a picture of the damage Casey reviewed this and offered a huge discount on the Custom JCV-JM we were going to order anyway. How's that for customer service? Don't be alarmed about the stitching issue though because Casey said that the new gloves have triple stitching in the palm/pocket now. My DD loves her Vinci and is very proud of it, she is also supper excited to get her custom Vinci which her and I designed together and will have her name on it for about the same cost as a much lesser grade glove. Beg, borrow, or steal the money if you have to, to get this glove for your daughter. Just don't expect it to be game ready when you get it. Like all good things, it takes some time before they are ready, but like a fine wine it will be worth the wait.

P.S. Hang onto and save the glove conditioner! I just applied that to her existing Vinci and the glove looks and feels like new. I also put some on my old glove from my playing days that hasn't had any conditioner on it in years and that glove roared back to life as well. Moving forward I will now be applying the conditioner to her glove a couple times a year as a regular part of her maintenance of her new and old gloves. Just remember a little goes a long way and make sure to really work it in. I'm thinking of using it on an old leather recliner to bring that to life as well. I may just have to order a large vat of that stuff, LOL.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
My DD's first serious catcher's mitt was the Praying Mantis from Akadema a few years back. She loved it. The soft leather broke in easily... It was big and flat like a dinner plate. It was a great glove that she finished one season with and started the next. Late spring of the second season she started having passed balls deflect off her glove. I caught one pitch in a picture that showed the fingers bending over backwards from the impact of catching the ball. Upon taking the glove apart (And getting another glove) I found the plastic reinforcement for the finger side of the glove to have snapped into 4 pieces! (Pictured below) and the thumb reinforcement had broken apart in similar fashion. The "backbones of the mitt were shattered! We have not owned another Akadema product since. Our glove simply did not hold up to the rigors of high level competition. It has been a few years and they have probably upgraded, but I won't take the chance on them again.

IMG_9239.JPG

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD's first serious catcher's mitt was the Praying Mantis from Akadema a few years back. She loved it. The soft leather broke in easily... It was big and flat like a dinner plate

Interesting. I wouldn't describe my DD's Akadema AAR64 like that at all.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I wouldn't describe my DD's Akadema AAR64 like that at all

Please note... I'm not saying all AK's gloves are that way. I believe my DD had the APM66. It soured us on the company though. Just one man's experience.
item-ak08-apm66l.jpg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not sure I would characterize it as "flat like a dinner plate", but it's certainly a different shape than the Vinci pattern. I think the thinner edge along the finger-side of the mitt is the biggest contributor to a flatter appearance.
Akadema AAR64
4D54A65D-7522-45F9-B016-D857202DC633_zpsbiddozxc.jpg

Vinci JCV-22
B6CB0F23-E3FE-427B-AB68-641ED5D48777_zpsl9a5uhyu.jpg

I agree that the issue you had with the Akadema is a serious concern. If that happens with my DD's, I'm going to be pretty bummed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1