Look Back Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Each of the three occurrences, the bases were empty and the batter/runner was headed to first. First out... my girl gets walked and trots easily to first then without hesitation sprints towards two.

Taking two bases on a walk, without a runner on 3rd. That's what I call aggressive base running:)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If they're not covering the bag... its a freebie.
And most times even if they do try to cover, the ss misses and the cf doesn't back up properly, so its not uncommon to score off a walk...lol

Mar 26, 2013
In most of the games I have been in, the girl is only out if she hesitates while the ball is in the circle (under control of course). I read the rule to say that once the ball is in the P's control and she is in the circle, at that point the base runners either have to continue to go forward or retreat back to the base they just left, unless the P pump fakes with either her head or the ball. So if the P gets the ball back in the circle, and the base runner tries to "play" the P trying to see what she is going to do, if the P does not flinch and the base runner is stopped for more than a second or two, then she is out.
Just to clarify, the runner doesn't commit themselves to a base until after they stop. If they're moving towards a base when LBR goes into effect, they can keep moving and are still entitled to stop once. Once they stop off a base, they have to immediately return to the previous base or attempt to advance to the next base.

Mar 26, 2013
Each of the three occurrences, the bases were empty and the batter/runner was headed to first. First out... my girl gets walked and trots easily to first then without hesitation sprints towards two. Blue calls her out because the pitcher had the ball. Second out batter gets hit and runs to first (dead ball) she turns left on the bag by a step for unknown reasons and gets called out on a dead ball play???????
Third out is a delayed steal. Four steps off the bag on the pitch and pauses, just as the catcher is throwing back to the pitcher, my girl sprints to the uncovered second base. Gets called out for not returning to first!?!?!?
Yep, umpire went 0-3 on those calls.

Most our runner retreat to the bag when the C throws the ball back to the P. We have 1 runner that blatantly violates the LBR. ...
Is this the same girl as the other post? How does she "blatantly" violate LBR?

May 18, 2009
I had the umpire warn me in league championship game. Runner on first and third. Runner on first is sent on pitch. Catcher throws to pitcher. Pitcher motions to throw to second after someone yells throw. I tell third go home. Pitcher holds ball and turns toward third. I tell runner back. Umpire comes out and warns me on the look back rule. Pitcher wasn't fully in circle when motioning to two.

Jun 24, 2013
I had the umpire warn me in league championship game. Runner on first and third. Runner on first is sent on pitch. Catcher throws to pitcher. Pitcher motions to throw to second after someone yells throw. I tell third go home. Pitcher holds ball and turns toward third. I tell runner back. Umpire comes out and warns me on the look back rule. Pitcher wasn't fully in circle when motioning to two.
The part of the rule book I read says that if a P makes an attempt, even a fake one, the LBR is removed. For how long I do not know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi