Look back rule on a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Thanks for the clarification! Someone was (CORRECTLY!) called out when DD #3 was pitching not long ago, girl rounded first and looked, took a step or two back to first, then started going to second. Ump didn't let her go more than a couple of steps before calling her out.

DD #3's coaches are having her run some interesting plays to discourage runners from walking to second. Sometimes they had her throw to first on a walk, so the runner had better stop at first. They've also had her run down the base runner for the out at second.

When DD #3 walks to second, she doesn't even pause at all. Just rounds first, on to second. No chance for any confusion there.

Jun 22, 2008
DD #3's coaches are having her run some interesting plays to discourage runners from walking to second. Sometimes they had her throw to first on a walk, so the runner had better stop at first. They've also had her run down the base runner for the out at second.

Except when your coaches have her do this the lookback rule is no longer in effect and any other runners on base are free to do what they like. Batter/runners typically only attempt to advance to 2nd when there is a runner on 3rd in an attempt to score the run, and usually only works at lower levels of play. Good teams will get both the out at 2nd on the batter/runner advancing and the runner from 3rd attempting to score. The pitcher holding the ball without making an attempt at a play uses the lookback rule to your advantage. Once the batter/runner touches 1st, the runner at 3rd must immediately advance home or return to 3rd. Even on a dead run, the defense has plenty of time to let the batter/runner touch 1st without attempting a play. The runner at 3rd is now subject to the lookback rule and will most likely head back to 3rd. The defense now still has time to make the play at 2nd, and throw home if the runner at 3rd does attempt to score.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I've seen this one get argued a ton of times. There's a common misunderstanding that if the pitcher has possession in the circle that the runner may not advance one step off the bag with out continuing to the next bag. My girls have been called out a few times on this one. And when it happens there is always at least 2 or 3 different opinions on it in the crowd.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
He posted that the umpire was the one "scratching his head".

By literary convention, isn't the person doing the head scratching the confused one?

Now I'm scratching my head! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was referring to those doing the screaming :) because they misinterpret the rule and the umpire is scratching her/his head as to their confusion

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Except when your coaches have her do this the lookback rule is no longer in effect and any other runners on base are free to do what they like. Batter/runners typically only attempt to advance to 2nd when there is a runner on 3rd in an attempt to score the run, and usually only works at lower levels of play. Good teams will get both the out at 2nd on the batter/runner advancing and the runner from 3rd attempting to score. The pitcher holding the ball without making an attempt at a play uses the lookback rule to your advantage. Once the batter/runner touches 1st, the runner at 3rd must immediately advance home or return to 3rd. Even on a dead run, the defense has plenty of time to let the batter/runner touch 1st without attempting a play. The runner at 3rd is now subject to the lookback rule and will most likely head back to 3rd. The defense now still has time to make the play at 2nd, and throw home if the runner at 3rd does attempt to score.

True, but this is a young 12u team, and a lot of what they are doing is learning the various situations. Sometimes it is worth giving up a run, or even runs in multiple games, for the teaching experience.

And, when it works, that is even better.

Jun 9, 2014
Except when your coaches have her do this the lookback rule is no longer in effect and any other runners on base are free to do what they like...

Scenario: Runner on 3rd, batter draws a walk, P has ball in circle waiting, BR touches and rounds first.

Now P makes what is deemed a play on the runner at third by pump-faking a throw at the runner rounding 1st, but never leaves the circle, and runner at 3rd starts towards home.

Is this a case where the LB rule is no longer in effect (because of the play made by the pitcher--the pump fake) and runners are free to do what they like?

If so, does the LB rule go back into effect at some point if the pitcher stays in the circle?

May 29, 2013
Scenario: Runner on 3rd, batter draws a walk, P has ball in circle waiting, BR touches and rounds first.

Now P makes what is deemed a play on the runner at third by pump-faking a throw at the runner rounding 1st, but never leaves the circle, and runner at 3rd starts towards home.

Is this a case where the LB rule is no longer in effect (because of the play made by the pitcher--the pump fake) and runners are free to do what they like?

If so, does the LB rule go back into effect at some point if the pitcher stays in the circle?

If the lbr has been "turned off" by the p "making a play", the runners are free again to make a motion either forward of back. But once they stop moving again the lbr is "turned on" again as long as the pitcher is in possesion of the ball within or on the circle (foot on the chalk) and is not "making a play". They must "immediately(umps interpretation)" commit to either direction of travel.

That's my interpration, if i'm wrong then i would want to hear the correct ruling so i can get it right.

Jan 20, 2009
If the lbr has been "turned off" by the p "making a play", the runners are free again to make a motion either forward of back. But once they stop moving again the lbr is "turned on" again as long as the pitcher is in possesion of the ball within or on the circle (foot on the chalk) and is not "making a play". They must "immediately(umps interpretation)" commit to either direction of travel.

That's my interpration, if i'm wrong then i would want to hear the correct ruling so i can get it right.

Fair, but let's tighten it up some. It is "turned on again" based on the pitcher ceasing to make a play, not when the runner(s) stop. As stated previously, runners may in in motion when the LBR goes into effect.
And yes, it can be on then off, then on, then off, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00