Little help with overall form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
There are a lot of others on here with a great deal more experience than I have...but I will tell you what I see. For 11 she looks really good until that last part at the end. I don't see this as necessarily a front side resistance issue. If you slow the video down she is basically throwing her shoulder. Her shoulder on her throwing arm comes forward with release and it needs to stay more stable for resistance. K-drills are good for helping to fix this issue and focus on keeping that shoulder back.

Pull up the slow motion videos of Jenny Finch or Amanda Scarborough and watch their shoulders. For kids having this problem using the concept of staying "stacked" or keeping your "box" works pretty good. It just means to keep your shoulders "stacked" over your knees which makes a "box".

I have also used the concept of Tetherball with my DD. Your shoulder is the pole and your arm is the rope tied to it. In order for the rope to move as fast as it can around the pole, the pole has to be stable. I tell her to imagine what the rope would do if the pole was moving at the same time as the rope...it won't work.

I think if you go look up Coach Pauly's info. on the "points of resistance" he talks about some of the issues your DD is having. Fixing this will take care of some of the minor things I see. She looks really good until that one point .

Sep 26, 2014
Thank you for the responses. This is why I like several opinions. Just me looking at her it looks like one thing and it's hard to get that out my head so I keep concentrating on it. Also, describing it to her as a box is a great tip and one I think she will pick up faster than me just telling her to keep her weight back and not fall forward past her line.

One tip.....she appears to be putting a lot of effort/focus on forcing a figure four toe drag. I'd suggest trading that focus for working on core torque/hip rotation....the rotation of the hips will drag the toe without ever thinking about it. This relates to movements should start at the proximal (spine area) part of the body and then move to distal (appendages). It appears that your DD has this reversed.

Sep 26, 2014
Thank you for the reply. Is this just a matter of exercising the core to have her get the feel of it or are there specific drills that she needs to do. We did concentrate on her leaping last winter and it is much improved. I think she almost leaps too much.

Thank you for the reply. Is this just a matter of exercising the core to have her get the feel of it or are there specific drills that she needs to do. We did concentrate on her leaping last winter and it is much improved. I think she almost leaps too much.

It is going to take a lot of diligent work....start with this movement drill. I call it "Turn the laces/lift the heel/knee to knee"....it is the basic movement for most rotational athletic movements.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC.gif