Legal delivery under ASA?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Recently played a team who's pitcher had a very unusual delivery that I had never seen before but I was wondering if you thought it was legal under ASA. Hard to explain without video but I'll do my best:

Pitcher is in legal, pre-delivery set-up, hands together both feet on pitching plate.
As she starts her motion to pitch, ball hand and glove hand separate and go back behind her (towards 2nd base), BUT instead of reversing her momentum and having her ball hand and glove hand start coming forward, she continues in the same direction with both arms going above the shoulders like she is doing the "butterfly" stroke in swimming and both arms go past the hips a second time as they swing back towards 2nd base. She now starts her push off the plate and does the typical one revolution windmill pitch to the plate.

Thoughts?

Feb 3, 2011
Recently played a team who's pitcher had a very unusual delivery that I had never seen before but I was wondering if you thought it was legal under ASA. Hard to explain without video but I'll do my best:

Pitcher is in legal, pre-delivery set-up, hands together both feet on pitching plate.
As she starts her motion to pitch, ball hand and glove hand separate and go back behind her (towards 2nd base), BUT instead of reversing her momentum and having her ball hand and glove hand start coming forward, she continues in the same direction with both arms going above the shoulders like she is doing the "butterfly" stroke in swimming and both arms go past the hips a second time as they swing back towards 2nd base. She now starts her push off the plate and does the typical one revolution windmill pitch to the plate.

Thoughts?
What you've described sounds legal to me.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Are you saying she took one full complete revolution backwards, passing her hips twice in the backwards direction, all the way around and then finally goes back forward?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I think this is the motion that the op is talking about. . .if it is it is illegal.

[video]http://youtu.be/ZNkS431uJ2k[/video]
ZNkS431uJ2k

Aug 19, 2011
It *is* a little hard to visualize from the description. From the reference to the breast stroke, it sounds like there is a complete arm circle in reverse before the forward circle begins. The hand is permitted to pass the hip on the backswing in the double pump, and some pitchers bring this hand so far behind them that the arm is nearly vertical, but this is not illegal since a full revolution is not completed. As Amy said, the rule prohibits two complete revolutions but does not specify which direction. When a double-pump pitcher starts her windup by bringing her hands over her head until the ball is behind her head, and then drops her backswing until her arm is nearly vertical, I suppose it could be argued that this constitutes a complete circle as well, but what the OP describes sounds different and much more unusual. Perhaps the longer motion is mesmerizing to batters, can't think of a mechanical reason for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan