Lefty catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We work home plate tag and throw drills (Always be thinking double play!) specifically for left handed catchers. Whenever the throw allows, stay out of the LINE OF FIRE to avoid colliding with the base runner. Catch the ball, (FIRST!) Tag, (Close or wide) then come up to throw. Here's a clip...

[video=youtube_share;LCE8LE1aw4A]http://youtu.be/LCE8LE1aw4A[/video]

There are additional specific details we cover in our catching sessions as well. :cool:

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'd agree with MsD.... As the father of a leftie catcher, my DD fought the misconceptions and prejudices of male coaches with baseball backgrounds more than once. Left handed catchers are set to throw to first on pick offs without turning, bunt coverage without turning, and tag plays at home without turning. (Greater opportunities for double plays!) Throws to second run a slightly higher risk of interference with a right handed batter. Throws to third require an adjustment in footwork to throw around right handed batters. I always get excite when starting catching sessions with a new leftie. Most do not realize their potential! The smart coach given the opportunity to choose between equally skilled left and right handed catchers will choose the leftie.

View attachment 7297
View attachment 7298

I love the background picture of the 3rd base coach. "Go, go, go" in one picture and "no, no, no" in the next. Lol

Aug 15, 2014
my only issue would be with the pitcher's, we had a couple of pitchers who did not like throwing to lefty catchers, it was a visual thing, they just felt uncomfortable, your pitchers must be comfortable with their catchers, so if your pitchers don't have an issue with it then it shouldn't be a problem,

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I prefer RH catchers because well my DD is a righty. I would really like to have 2 catchers on my team 1 RH and 1 LH. I think it's like pitchers, why does everyone prefer the lefty when right has zero disadvantage.

On bunts I think catchers are equal on the advantage regardless of handedness. A bunt to the 3B side that the catchers field might favor a lefty a bit but to the 1B side favors a righty more. Would you rather bunt to first against a lefty or right 1B? Me lefty, glove is on the inside of the field meaning they have to reach across the body to tag and spin to throw. Catchers normally bare hand bunts making the righty have a slight advantage IMO!

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I think it's like pitchers, why does everyone prefer the lefty when right has zero disadvantage.

Most prefer to throw a lefty due to a majority of batters who have rarely seen a lefty pitcher. They feel it's a psych advantage. Also, a lefty setting up on the outside (lefty hitter side) of the plate throwing to a catcher set up to the same side can fool the batter. In baseball (which this isn't, but FP is probably somewhat influenced by MLB), the lefty/righty matchups are real, and have real differences in outcomes.

A bunt to the 3B side that the catchers field might favor a lefty a bit but to the 1B side favors a righty more.

Fielding with a throw to 1B favors the lefty catcher - she doesn't have to move around the ball in order to get lined up for the throw.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
The lefty catcher really doesn't have an advantage going to first for me. I prefer a righty catcher fielding the bunt on the first base side. But to each their own I guess.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The lefty catcher really doesn't have an advantage going to first for me. I prefer a righty catcher fielding the bunt on the first base side. But to each their own I guess.

It really isn't debatable on throws to first, but the good news is that your and my righty catchers have the overall advantage throwing to third! Second base is a wash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01