Left handed change-up grip for small hands......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Use whatever works for her now. As her hands grow her grips should change. Make sure she's re-evaluating all her grips every 6 months or so.

-W

Aug 20, 2013
We aren't really using anything Star as we have just played around for few minutes.

I was watching the vid Amanda S. did.

So is her first grip a circle change-up and then this grip + ball down, the flip change? So confusing.

Guys I want to apologize that sometimes my questions and answers are annoying and lack experience. I have realized that a large majority of you are in the travel world and we aren't. We are just trying to have some success in the rec. ball world. I stumbled across this forum just to try and understand what my daughter was learning at pitching lessons and I got easily wrapped up and in scenarios that won't ever apply to us. I am awed by your knowledge, but also overwhelmed at times. Thus, I will be backing off from the forum overall.

I compare this to someone trying to remove red eye from a simple Christmas Photo joining and advanced professional photography forum if you will.

I will read from time to time, but for my own sanity and yours(lol) I need to find something that is more to mine and my DD level of skill and commitment. Thanks so all who have put up with me, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year's to you all.

Ever Respectfully,
GG

Jul 26, 2010
Palming the ball is actually good advice. What you want with the changeup is to have as much "skin" on the ball as possible. The horseshoe and circle and such are just easy ways to get kids to do that, but the goal is more skin. As she grows, the fingers can get closer and closer together until the fingers are actually touching and she's cupping the ball completely. In the meantime, you have to use what works for her, as palming and cupping will likely result in the ball slipping out of her hand until her fingers are long enough.

The way the changeup (any changeup) actually works as a pitch is by the pitcher removing the "whip" from their arm. This can be done through achieving a stiffer arm (really grip that ball and clench the forearm) or by delaying the release of the ball until after whip happens. Change-ups are HARD to learn and practice because they are the only pitch where mechanics are different then any other pitch (reduce whip rather then maximize it).

Sorry to hear you're backing off, I found your posts were useful and thoughtful.

-W

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Guys I want to apologize that sometimes my questions and answers are annoying and lack experience. I am awed by your knowledge, but also overwhelmed at times. Thus, I will be backing off from the forum overall.

Your questions are great. Many here at DFP started where you are now. Most of us have asked similar questions and hopefully, we're still asking. Learning about the game with your DD is wonderful and if you two work well together and grow as a result--that's really the most important thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red