LEFT Handed Catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Several examples of LH catchers at the top tier of softball. I can't remember her name but a catcher for Team USA a few years back was a lefty. Plenty of top DI school catchers as well.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks everyone. I was really concerned about her being accepted as a catcher being LHed. I was a catcher in college so now I have to figure out how to train her backwards. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This was the hardest part for my DD's instructor. Her instructor was an SEC baseball catcher that is great with the kids. He had to try and work on footwork as a lefty to try and teach her. Most things can just be a mirror image though.

I do agree the only time being left handed is a disadvantage is having a runner on first and a left handed batter. Other than that everything is to her advantage. Even throws to third are smooth by just using a drop step.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks everyone. I was really concerned about her being accepted as a catcher being LHed. I was a catcher in college so now I have to figure out how to train her backwards. Thanks everyone.

The biggest hurdle you will face will be coaches with predetermined attitudes regarding the situation. When you break down the mechanics of what it takes to play the position, it's really a non-issue. At the end of the day, it comes down to which girl gets the job done better on the field, not which hand they throw with.

Aug 16, 2015
The biggest hurdle you will face will be coaches with predetermined attitudes regarding the situation. When you break down the mechanics of what it takes to play the position, it's really a non-issue. At the end of the day, it comes down to which girl gets the job done better on the field, not which hand they throw with.

No concerns about teams just moving their RHB deep in the box and stealing 3rd closing the snapping lane to 3?

Just a question not a judgement. I wouldn't make the choice solely on throws to 3 anyway.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No concerns about teams just moving their RHB deep in the box and stealing 3rd closing the snapping lane to 3?

Just a question not a judgement. I wouldn't make the choice solely on throws to 3 anyway.

Negotiating the batter's position is normal operating procedure for a catcher, no matter which hand you're throwing with or which base you're throwing to. Lefty throwing to 3B isn't really different than a righty throwing to 1B. My righty DD negotiates around LH batters just fine when back-picking to 1B.

Aug 24, 2015
Several examples of LH catchers at the top tier of softball. I can't remember her name but a catcher for Team USA a few years back was a lefty. Plenty of top DI school catchers as well.
I know when we saw Michigan play this yr they had a LH catcher. I am still concerned there are some coaches that will look at her and say I don't like LH catchers. She pitches to so it's not like it's her only position.

Mar 22, 2015
The University of Georgia (currently ranked #12) has a lefty catcher. She is getting quite a bit of time behind the plate this year.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
We have about half a dozen of them in various levels of our organization, including one at 18U Gold. I think the advantages and disadvantages are the same as a righty, just in reverse. No reason not to set her on that path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi