Leaving Bat on Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Let me first start by saying that none of my batters leave their bat on their shoulder. However, I have two who I think might benefit from it. Try as I may, I can't seem to keep these two from chopping down through the path of the pitch. I believe one thing that might help is to have them leave the bat on their shoulder and try and turn the barrel from there, of course starting with their hips, as I see that helping to avoid the chopping down problem.

Suggestions?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Let me add that I think part of the problem is these two don't lower their front shoulder at all, which leads to their back shoulder lifting a little as they swing. That is, their shoulders are not in line with their front forearm and bat at contact (whenever they get contact).

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I for one do use a DRILL, to stop a chop in the swing, I teach them to slide the bat off a sloped back shoulder as they turn.

Kids with a chop in their swing is not very common to me, most drop the barrel, and to me, not a very bad problem to have.

I also use hitters box drills, which, again, for me, works to keep the proper shoulder, front arm, and bat alignment to square up to the ball. Hitters box drills teaches the girls to TILT.

These are just drills, repair kits, muscle memory, every coach can use their own favorites, and if you do this stuff long enough, you will learn what works for you.
optimum contact
manny.jpg
hitters box
StealthDrill-S.gif

I would work the low zone, like the very last frame in this gif, and use front toss, start easy, get it locked in.
annazoneworkgif-S.gif

edit...I need to give the girl in the gif her dues.
She went 5 for 5 against three different pitchers, all line drives, with one to the fence, to win state.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I for one do use a DRILL, to stop a chop in the swing, I teach them to slide the bat off a sloped back shoulder as they turn.

View attachment 6169

I really like this, and the photo is what I want to see in them. I'm always using the cue, "Take the forearm toward the pitcher to get it squared up (or perpendicular) to the path of the pitch. These two who chop down can someone do it in batting practice, but old muscle memory dominates due to nerves getting the best of them in games.

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
I actually did a drill to specifically help with this.

Its a special tee that my coach made which was very cost effective. The whole objective of the tee is to swing through the ball if you chop at the ball you will hit the pole and break it like I did many times. What you need is 3 tees, PCP pipe with corner attachments (do not know the specific name but it is in the shape of an 'L") make sure its something durable that won't hurt your bat if you hit it, 2 simple plungers and thats it! You have 3 tees one right in front of the other. You place plungers with the stick inside tee 1 and 2. As shown in the picture make sure tee 1 is significantly higher than tee 2 and then place the ball on tee 3 and make sure its around the same height as the pole if its a little higher to start thats fine. And there you have it! It will dramatically change their swing! tee drawing .jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Sorry Candice, but with all due respect, that isn't the swing I want my hitters using. I use to teach that method of hitting 16 years ago. I've thrown it away.

Watch Cabrera's swing. He'd smack tees 2 and 3 beyond the infield as he swung at the ball. Pay particular attention to how Cabrera gets the sweet spot of his bat to travel on the path of the pitch just prior to the point of contact. Then, after contact, the barrel follows the ball up and out.

Swinging down through the ball, as your diagram shows, results in chipping and much lower odds of hitting the ball solid.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I actually did a drill to specifically help with this.

Its a special tee that my coach made which was very cost effective. The whole objective of the tee is to swing through the ball if you chop at the ball you will hit the pole and break it like I did many times. What you need is 3 tees, PCP pipe with corner attachments (do not know the specific name but it is in the shape of an 'L") make sure its something durable that won't hurt your bat if you hit it, 2 simple plungers and thats it! You have 3 tees one right in front of the other. You place plungers with the stick inside tee 1 and 2. As shown in the picture make sure tee 1 is significantly higher than tee 2 and then place the ball on tee 3 and make sure its around the same height as the pole if its a little higher to start thats fine. And there you have it! It will dramatically change their swing! View attachment 6170
Maybe good for a slapper looking for a hard bounce??

Oct 10, 2011

Kids with a chop in their swing is not very common to me, most drop the barrel, and to me, not a very bad problem to have.

I also use hitters box drills, which, again, for me, works to keep the proper shoulder, front arm, and bat alignment to square up to the ball. Hitters box drills teaches the girls to TILT.

These are just drills, repair kits, muscle memory, every coach can use their own favorites, and if you do this stuff long enough, you will learn what works for you.
optimum contact
View attachment 6169
hitters box
StealthDrill-S.gif

I would work the low zone, like the very last frame in this gif, and use front toss, start easy, get it locked in.
annazoneworkgif-S.gif

edit...I need to give the girl in the gif her dues.
She went 5 for 5 against three different pitchers, all line drives, with one to the fence, to win state.

As you can guess with DD going to an "Epstein certified instructor"...she is getting a heavy dose of these drills. Her coach and a couple parents have noticed a difference and we hadn't told anyone on the team about her lessons.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I believe that an "Epstein certified instructor"... will give you a solid base to grow from.

From there the instructor will add his own take on things, and if he cares about what he does, sticks with it and gains experience through teaching, and continuing education, your dd, and his other students will improve.

Good luck Im learning also.

Oct 10, 2011
I believe that an "Epstein certified instructor"... will give you a solid base to grow from.

From there the instructor will add his own take on things, and if he cares about what he does, sticks with it and gains experience through teaching, and continuing education, your dd, and his other students will improve.

Good luck Im learning also.
Yes, he continues to go to other coaches clinics, etc... and allows DD to have her "own style" His daughter is doing very well at a very competitive D2 School also. Some of it is starting to show up in games...but not fast enough for me LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321