Launch Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Both the posterior side and anterior side contribute. Your focus seems to be solely on the posterior side. I think it is an easier and more complete teach to come at it from the anterior side to teach sequence and leveraging the sling systems of both sides. That doesn't mean I ignore the posterior side - lengthening the anterior side means the posterior side is shortening.

The front leg does not pull the weight off the rear side - the release of the lengthened anterior sling and shortened posterior sling starts to pull the weight off. The front hip extension will finish it off.

PujolsCarpenter2.gif

The weight is shifting once the front leg/hip start to abduct.

I agree......the muscles of the back resist. Also agree that his heel plants do to weight shift. Do not see how a front leg that has not been planted can pull the weight off the rear side tho.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Also agree that his heel plants do to weight shift.
RTC, I do not see a linear weight shift pushing his front foot down. I see something much more powerful. I agree that even when coiled back, if you lift your foot, it will fall. Are you are saying he is pushing his weight onto his front foot?

Do not see how a front leg that has not been planted can pull the weight off the rear side tho.
I can stand on my toes. I can shift my weight forward and stay on my toes. I can't turn my hips and stay on that toe though.

I feel like his turning rear leg is turning his pelvis, which is moving his front leg, which is anchored (at the toe in the practice swing and as a full foot in the game cut) having had gravity place (not plant) his foot on the ground.

Good luck reading this ^ :p

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not a linear push...per say. It is the fbc. The heel may go down, but the swing is the weight shift.
craigstretchrelease_zps3520851a.gif

An oldie Booth used to hate.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
For me, the back can not be the trigger, because the back is the adjuster. Fooled on off speed and the back can continue to load/coil against the rear leg. For me, the hands have to be the trigger.

I gotcha. This is where I was stuck at HI... For a long, long time. This was where I was at when the scapiphany hit.

Help me with this if you can.

I can coil up from rear leg to scap, and turn the bat around a pivot point between my hands using my forearms without that trigger making it beyond my hands... IE, I can be coiled and do that hard and not get any movement beyond my forearms...

Where did I slip? What connection did I miss? Is there a secondary move that I am missing?

I will say that the move did force my elbow down. Is there a shoulder socket fusion process that I should have? I just tried again with resisting letting my elbow drop. Things were different. Is this it?

I have known that there is a missing link between what I am doing and TM is teaching. The $hit storm that I kicked off here and there has been an attempt find this missing link.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I can coil up from rear leg to scap, and turn the bat around a pivot point between my hands using my forearms without that trigger making it beyond my hands... IE, I can be coiled and do that hard and not get any movement beyond my forearms...

I often say there are only 2 things, rear hip coil and turn the barrel. If I get my rear hip coiled around my rear leg, turning the barrel correctly makes everything else reactive. The rear leg irs, the back pulls against it. It just happens reactively. Maybe your barrel turn has too much slack. Get the hands in tight to your rear shoulder. Tight V in the rear arm. Put your mind into your hands. In reality the back is resisting, but in my mind my hands are resisting against the rear leg. There is an invisible connection from my hands, to my shoulder, upper rear back, down to my rear leg. My hands are holding me back, until snapping (turning) the barrel snaps through, releasing the resistance. The hands controlling the resistance. The hands snapping free the swing.

Make sure you are not thinking about anything above your rear leg going forward. You scap description earlier gave me the feeling you can't get past thinking of muscling or pushing forward. The rear hip coil spring is what will power everything into the ball. Everything must pull back against it to release.

You can think "scap" against it, that's fine, you might be ok, but I have found that myself, my dd, and several other HI people were turning the barrel too deep behind them (barrel is getting to pointing down at the catcher before being whipped). Thats when I started putting the thought of controlling resistance in my hands, and the started using the cue "turn the barrel to the ball".

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Is this the forearm axle the trigger? Is this what you may by using the hands?

ForearmsOverhead.gif

If this is the trigger and the back is the adjuster, which happens first?

I also have secondary questions over the wrists as used in the handset. I think this might be overlooked. You can cock one or the other and still maintain knuckle alignment. There is also a matter of slack in the forearms... A hand pivot point can only turn so far before the elbow must move.

In this clip, Pujlos' hands are in a position in which they may not allow much of a hand pivot before the forearm movement makes its way to the upper arm. Is there something here noteworthy?

Pujols-Albert-2011-10-WS-vs-NLCS-Swing-vs-Take-30.gif

Taking another look, man that clip on the left really shows a lot of scap move that appears ahead of the hands. Do you really think the hands are what triggered that scap digging (or whatever you might call it).

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pujols-Albert-2011-10-WS-vs-NLCS-Swing-vs-Take-30.gif

Taking another look, man that clip on the left really shows a lot of scap move that appears ahead of the hands. Do you really think the hands are what triggered that scap digging (or whatever you might call it).

If I understand what others say about this, I believe this is where his hands "load" the barrel prior to final launch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The coil test that TM created involves coiling up and then carefully lifting your front foot while maintaining rear leg coil. If you upper torso turns when you do this, you pass the coil test. If you just stand there, you probably dumped your hip.

I think a front leg kick back and/or a strong rear side pullback (like the babe ruth clip) will prevent you from uncoiling as your foot is lifted.

Please review the video segment below. Isn't he suggesting that the pullback "assists" the uncoiling?

A bit of clarification would be appreciated.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
The scap launch is reacting to ball location. I think it's is the first positive reaction to the ball and starts the swing

Many have discussed circling of the scap. I'm still not 100% on how that works.

ScapulaCycle.jpeg

Manny:
http://i59.tinypic.com/jg7j7s.gif

J,

As I said in my private message, IMO, arguing about hitting is like arguing religion or politics...so please don't take my post as an argument. I think your DD is in good hands because you are actively seeking the best pattern for her. I have lots of questions for you here...but one question that pops into my head immediately is: what does her head coach think of her swing and\or her hitting performance in games?

If you look at the Manny clip that I slowed down by 400% pay attention to the rear elbow...its stays parallel to the ground pointed at the guys head in the background for about 15 frames by my count. At frame 35, he is at max humeral head load. While from this angle we cannot tell whether his scaps pinch, it is notable because of the change in the position of the humerus. It is also notable because this position matches heel plant.

ahhh...question time...

Do you think the max humeral raise is Manny's trigger? Scap load?

If yes, trigger for what? i.e. what happens NEXT? Scap Launch?

If it is his trigger, where would the pitch be at this point?

So you don't think I'm trying to set you up...I'll say this...

Now you talk about actively using the scap as a trigger...I'll say this...the fastest pitch I ever looked at in the box was from a kid named Roger Brainard who pitched for the SC gamecocks (https://www.facebook.com/ManUpPT)...he topped out around 93. If you think you have time to see the pitch, decide to go and get to launch after you scap load, it is not possible as you describe it at higher speeds.

Look at the sequence you subscribe to now and compare it to the Manny clip or RHC's FBC clip or the clip I sent to you earlier

Do any of these match your DD's lower half movement? Forget what you feel..do the body movements match?

We can talk abduction, adduction IR, ER, the best way to find the perpendicular bisector of an isosceles triangle, scap pinch, scap load, the best buffalo wings, and whether or not Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone until we are blue in the face but that is NOT going to make our DD's better hitters...how we teach it and the results on field are ultimately the measure of success\failure

What do you think is causing his hip rotation? A push from the rear hip or leg or a pull from the anterior hip?

The rest of the questions you have regarding hand path are irrelevant IMO until you settle on what lower mechanics you want to follow.

Butters comment about posterior only is spot on IMO - look at what you're doing - now is the off-season...if you are going to change, now is the time...CP

pardon the edits...walking dead time :)

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Please review the video segment below. Isn't he suggesting that the pullback "assists" the uncoiling?

A bit of clarification would be appreciated.
Five, how old is that video? I hear there is a statute of limitations on the truth... LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd