LA LaFayete- Split Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You can see about an inch of space between his hands at around six seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCwiX1k4b8

That isn't what I see. I see the hands together with no space.

2rop7ci.gif

Keep looking. I've looked at a fair number of Cobb's swings ... haven't seen it yet ... but I'm open to real data if you have any.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I don't see hands together in the still above. I don't even really see hands. But if you watch from that point on, into his extension, space between his hands can be seen.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yeah, I don't see hands together in the still above. I don't even really see hands. But if you watch from that point on, into his extension, space between his hands can be seen.

Hmm ... okay .... you don't even "see hands", yet you claimed there was a space between them.

Lobster, video after video shows that Ty Cobb did not swing with a split grip. Of course that doesn’t stop people from believing the opposite. There are folks that simply refuse to accept the portion of the video that shows him bringing his hands together before he launched the barrel. They simply pretend that it isn’t happening … but the video doesn’t lie.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
According to some people, this here isn't happening .......

23itcw1.gif

p.s.
Lobster ... the above GIF was created from the link you provided. Your own data shows the hands being brought together.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Also, there's film of Cobb on YouTube clearly using a split grip throughout his swing, so I'm pretty much sold on the idea that he did use a split grip.

Not to worry Lobster.

What you demonstrated is common in this sport.

Folks believing that they “clearly” see what they don’t actually see.

It’s why the Hanson Principle is so important. It’s a simple filter that can help filter out faulty information.

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Jul 23, 2014
For what it's worth I don't see how anyone can definitively tell if there is a gap with Ty Cobb or not based on those videos/images. That doesn't change the fact that you don't see it in MLB hitters now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1