Jumping on the advice train - Lefty DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2013
I started researching I/R when my 11 yr old DD would develop elbow pain after a couple of innings. I finally figured out what she was doing. She was throwing a screwball motion every pitch and over torquing the elbow. We are almost done with our Fall ball and I've been having her do the I/R drills. Unfortunately I think she is caught in between her old HE way and I/R. All I know is pain = bad mechanics. Shot some video. Sorry for the sun :)

Lauren 12oclock side - YouTube

Lauren 12oclock back - YouTube

Lauren mound front - YouTube

Jul 17, 2012
Looks great to me...... I'll leave the constructive critisism to the rest of the group. I don't see anyhting wrong with it. I'll be interested to see what if anything the seasoned vets find that's out of whack. From my point of view... she/you are doing a great job.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Dial,
Welcome to DFP! Good call on being stuck in between. She needs to lead with the elbow all the way down. She starts out ok, then straightens the arm almost right away. Think "loose and relaxed" from the elbow on down. The forearm/hand should be going along for the ride instead of trying to contribute to throwing the ball.

A bullwhip has no powered mechanisms along it's 8 feet, yet, in the hands of a skilled operator, the tip can exceed the speed of sound! If the forearm/hand stays loose, the elbow leads and the ball is pulled down: you should get whip. It may help to ask her to think about allowing the back of the hand to lead the ball all the way to release. ALLOW the hand to rotate on it's own--don't force it to turn or throw.

Here's a great place to start:

Three Easy Steps to Whip

One thing BoardMember recently stressed in the first step is to keep the arm dynamic by swinging up to 9 o'clock, rather than starting at a static 9 o'clock. I think that really helps.

Ken

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Adding to what Rick said and using Sarah as an example, use that glove side to help energize the pitch. Stay dynamic with this stuff and try to avoid starting from static poses except to show where/how it needs to start. I like "up together/down together" when working on these steps. Both arms go up and both come down.

When working on drive, the glove side can help add energy to the forward motion in both the swing out and the pull down. As Rick mentioned, using the glove arm helps put the whole body into balance. Use it to your advantage instead of just letting it go along for the ride.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
BTW, in Sarah's clip above, notice that she whips so well that it creates a shockwave in her stride leg ;)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
much more fun to think of it as a whip shockwave though.

OP- It would be great to see some more of the full motion from the side and back- the ball coming at me like that scares me- I wear 3-D glasses on this forum.

Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for all the input. It seems a couple issues I am having now is for her to keep her arm loose and going full speed on the drills. She seems to want to do the drills without making a mistake which is why I think she slows down and tries to guide the ball through them.

I noticed the same thing Ken watching the video about the straight arm.

I should be able to get some more video towards the end of the week of her doing the full wind.

Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG