I've played the game all my life:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My brother called and discussed two arguments he has had recently. Both times, the person he argued against stated that they had played the game all of their lives. Keep in mind that this is 8U.

The first involved a ball that hit in fair then spun backwards and landed/stopped on the plate. It never touched foul territory. So, my brother had his catcher pick up the ball and throw to first. They have young kids umpiring these games and so, neither one knew what to call the ball. My brother says it is a fair ball and explains that the ball never touched foul territory and rolled onto the plate. The plate is in fair territory. The opposite coach, naturally says, it is a foul ball because the plate is foul. My brother tells the umps and the coach that if they look at the foul lines, they run into the back angles of the plate and so, the plate is totally in fair territory. The other coach tells the umpires that he has "played all of his life and that is a foul ball." That is so funny. My brother has played in untold number of games. He played 7 nights a week from the time he was 18 until he was 47 or 48. He played way over 150 games every year. He played at a very high level. In short, my brother is a stud. So, my brother goes to the other coach and says that this is an 8U game and so, he won't argue it if the player gets to hit again. However, he should know that the plate is in fair territory. The other coach basically says my brother doesn't know anything about playing ball. LOL!

The second one was a pitched ball bounces off of the ground and hit the batter. My brother says that this is a hit by pitch and the batter should be awarded 1st base. Again, kid umps. The other coach says that when the ball hits the ground it is a dead ball. My brother then ask the guy to explain how a bounced ball can get past the catcher and the runner can score from 3rd. How can a 3rd strike hit the ground and the catcher has to either tag the runner out or throw to first. The guy says that the ball that hits the batter on a bounce is a dead ball and so the hitter can't take first. My brother says, what if the ball hit the batter in the air? The guy says that the difference is that the ground makes the ball dead. See where I am going with this? My brother kept trying to use common sense statements and the guy just never got it.

One last one. There is a run down between 1st and 2nd. As you can imagine, at 8U, this is a mess. Anyway, the ball hits the runner in the head/helmet and deflects so the runner is safe. The coach says that the runner is out because you can throw and hit the runner.

Beware of guys who have played all of their lives.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My brother called and discussed two arguments he has had recently. Both times, the person he argued against stated that they had played the game all of their lives. Keep in mind that this is 8U.

The first involved a ball that hit in fair then spun backwards and landed/stopped on the plate. It never touched foul territory. So, my brother had his catcher pick up the ball and throw to first. They have young kids umpiring these games and so, neither one knew what to call the ball. My brother says it is a fair ball and explains that the ball never touched foul territory and rolled onto the plate. The plate is in fair territory. The opposite coach, naturally says, it is a foul ball because the plate is foul. My brother tells the umps and the coach that if they look at the foul lines, they run into the back angles of the plate and so, the plate is totally in fair territory. The other coach tells the umpires that he has "played all of his life and that is a foul ball." That is so funny. My brother has played in untold number of games. He played 7 nights a week from the time he was 18 until he was 47 or 48. He played way over 150 games every year. He played at a very high level. In short, my brother is a stud. So, my brother goes to the other coach and says that this is an 8U game and so, he won't argue it if the player gets to hit again. However, he should know that the plate is in fair territory. The other coach basically says my brother doesn't know anything about playing ball. LOL!

The second one was a pitched ball bounces off of the ground and hit the batter. My brother says that this is a hit by pitch and the batter should be awarded 1st base. Again, kid umps. The other coach says that when the ball hits the ground it is a dead ball. My brother then ask the guy to explain how a bounced ball can get past the catcher and the runner can score from 3rd. How can a 3rd strike hit the ground and the catcher has to either tag the runner out or throw to first. The guy says that the ball that hits the batter on a bounce is a dead ball and so the hitter can't take first. My brother says, what if the ball hit the batter in the air? The guy says that the difference is that the ground makes the ball dead. See where I am going with this? My brother kept trying to use common sense statements and the guy just never got it.

One last one. There is a run down between 1st and 2nd. As you can imagine, at 8U, this is a mess. Anyway, the ball hits the runner in the head/helmet and deflects so the runner is safe. The coach says that the runner is out because you can throw and hit the runner.

Beware of guys who have played all of their lives.

LOL. Well, at least the coach got the last one right - for wiffleball when stingrays are called legal at the start of the game!

Mar 1, 2013
Also keep in mind that even if that first rolling ball entered foul territory and rolled back in to settle in fair territory (on the plate or otherwise) and was never touched foul between home and 1st/3rd it's fair, too. Hell, it could have landed 4 feet foul with backspin and rolled over to settle in fair territory and it would be fair.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Also keep in mind that even if that first rolling ball entered foul territory and rolled back in to settle in fair territory (on the plate or otherwise) and was never touched foul between home and 1st/3rd it's fair, too. Hell, it could have landed 4 feet foul with backspin and rolled over to settle in fair territory and it would be fair.

In my brother's case, he was trying to use common sense that the ball was never in foul territory but your point is good.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
An incorrect call will throw players, parents and coaches off for years. “In the game the other day, last year, ect, the call was ….”. 2nd umpire might be right but they get stuck on what the first umpire called. I wish players, parents, coaches and umpires(for the OP the umpires doesn’t apply) had access to a rule book. Or even better yet a Forum where you could ask for clarification of the rules. I am just dreaming at this point.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You do not need to play the game your whole life to know that home plate is in fair territory, you just need to line the field once......

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I was an AC for a team and the HC says something about the plate being foul and I corrected him, and he said "well I know the baseball rules better then the softball rules". And yes I informed him that its fair in baseball too, it was at that moment that he started to lose faith in me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad