is this pathetic or is it just me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Sooner or later they are going to run afoul of the NCAA regulations. My recollection of when my daughter was filling out her clearinghouse information there were several questions regarding had anyone other than her parents paid for her softball fees, travel expenses, equipment etc etc etc.
It's not a problem as long as they keep it to "actual and necessary expenses" for the athlete and it comes from a permissible source (e.g. team, not an agent). NCAA also set a threshold of $300 in 2013 so they don't have to pursue penny-ante stuff (e.g. t-shirts, etc.).

12.02.2 Actual and Necessary Expenses. Actual and necessary expenses are limited to: (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)
(a) Meals;
(b) Lodging;
(c) Apparel, equipment and supplies;
(d) Coaching and instruction;
(e) Health/medical insurance;
(f) Transportation (expenses to and from practice and competition, cost of transportation from home to training/practice site at the beginning of the season/preparation for an event and from training/practice/event site to home at the end of season/event);
(g) Medical treatment and physical therapy;
(h) Facility usage;
(i) Entry fees; and
(j) Other reasonable expenses.
12.02.2.1 Application. Unless otherwise permitted by the NCAA constitution or bylaws, actual and necessary expenses may be provided only if such expenses are for competition on a team or in a specific event or for practice that is directly related to such competition. The value of such expenses must be commensurate with the fair market value of similar goods and services in the locality in which the expenses are provided and must not be excessive in nature. Actual and necessary expenses shall not include the expenses or fees of anyone other than the individual who participates as a member of the team or in a specific event. (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)
12.02.5 Limited Benefit - Prior to Initial Full-Time Enrollment at an NCAA Institution - Expenses from a Permissible Source. Prior to initial full-time enrollment at an NCAA institution, if an individual receives expenses from a permissible source (e.g., event sponsor, club team) that exceed his or her actual and necessary expenses by $300 or less, the eligibility of the individual shall not be affected. Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

Feb 3, 2011
I know that I occasionally lean too far right, but why shouldn't they be allowed to spend their money the way they want to?

I believe in developing the players you select for your team, but what's wrong with a program deciding to go out and find what they feel might be stronger athletes *to* develop?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I know that I occasionally lean too far right, but why shouldn't they be allowed to spend their money the way they want to?

I believe in developing the players you select for your team, but what's wrong with a program deciding to go out and find what they feel might be stronger athletes *to* develop?

Same reason NCAA football players can't sell an award they earned from the school without getting in trouble or get a free tattoo: the NCAA MUST have complete control over every aspect of college sports or it will implode.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I haven't spent $150,000 in the 50 years that I have been in softball and baseball. Unless you bought an RV or rented a facility, I don't see it happening. Did he sponsor the complete team? I guess $12,000 X 12 players, would get you there.

Feb 7, 2013
They changed the post. Now it is a post sort of alluding to having spots for economically disadvantaged players. But for some reason they still need to try out a month before everyone else.

I see your making nice with some more travel ball teams in SoCal. Soon you will be driving your DDs to Phoenix to play for the AZ Hotshots (if they will take you?) :D

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I haven't spent $150,000 in the 50 years that I have been in softball and baseball. Unless you bought an RV or rented a facility, I don't see it happening. Did he sponsor the complete team? I guess $12,000 X 12 players, would get you there.

3 full-time ex-Pro coaches, other specialty coaches, expenses for pitchers and other players he flies in each weekend from other states to play for the team, travel for the team, hotels, team bus, team trailer, most expensive equipment for team, etc, etc. He runs it like you would a minor league team.

He isn't alone. There are 3 other teams in the state he competes with who do the same thing.

Here you go:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-moneyball-jr-20130317-story.html#page=1

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Team Application | USSSA Pride - Professional Fastpitch Softball

You can get your program associated with the pride, too. Perhaps they are encouraging diversity, which is a good thing, sorely needed.
This is separate from charging everyone an arm and a leg and hoping to make pro baseball players out of them.

We have several teams in Florida who take advantage of this - you get a nice uniform package and few other things in exchange for calling your team the Town or State Name USSSA Pride. It isn't a bad deal for those independent teams looking to defray some cost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00