Is this a legal pitching motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
Please try and visualize this: Pitcher on the mound, both feet. Pitcher goes into deliverly, raises right foot and leg up (right handed pitcher), continues delivery motion, pounds leg and foot back onto mound and finishes with normal delivery of pushing off with right foot and drive.

Jun 22, 2008
Pitcher may slide foot side to side, or even forward for that matter (in most rule sets) as long as it does not lose contact with the pitching plate. If they lift it and set it back down it is an illegal pitch (NCAA does I believe allow the pitcher to lift it as long as they set it down without any forward movement of the foot.)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
First things first...if this pitcher is pitching from a mound, maybe she should get off the baseball field and go over to the softball field. :cool:

What you seem to be describing is a rocker motion that causes the pivot foot to lose contact with the pitching plate. The rules clearly state that this is an illegal pitch.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Yes, by definition, this is illegal because the pivot foot has lost contact with the rubber before the leg drive. But like others have said it probably won't get called because she will describe it as part of her pre motion. However, in HS (Indiana) the pitcher is allowed to step back completely off the rubber with the drive leg in a pre motion.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Pitcher may slide foot side to side, or even forward for that matter (in most rule sets) as long as it does not lose contact with the pitching plate. If they lift it and set it back down it is an illegal pitch (NCAA does I believe allow the pitcher to lift it as long as they set it down without any forward movement of the foot.)

It should be noted that in all organizations of which I am aware, pitchers are allowed to lift their foot to slide or reposition on the PP, but only enough to clear their cleats/spikes. That doesn't seem to be what is being described here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516