Is my DD considered fast...…for her age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
Sadly no one can say. Timing (even laser) is horrible flawed.
For example the fastest first 10M in women’s track 100M is 1.78s. Converted to yards about 1.63 seconds. One leaderboard 1.63 is slow on their top performers (other items beside running).
2.65 for 20 yards is Flo Jo range.

This video shows professional slappers contact to first.

May 27, 2013
Sadly no one can say. Timing (even laser) is horrible flawed.
For example the fastest first 10M in women’s track 100M is 1.78s. Converted to yards about 1.63 seconds. One leaderboard 1.63 is slow on their top performers (other items beside running).
2.65 for 20 yards is Flo Jo range.

This video shows professional slappers contact to first.

I agree that 2.65 is very fast - but even non-track running fast runners can usually be pretty close to each other in the pack for the first 20 or so yards. If you watch a 60 yard dash that’s when you’ll see the elite runners pull away about half-way or more through. You‘ll see it even more in the 100m. Not much difference noticed in the first 20 yards.

ETA: We also have to keep in mind that she might not have been the fastest runner in the first 20 yards. It all depends on when her kick and stride kicked in. Her middle and later 20 yard splits were probably faster than her first 20 yards.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
DD played travel ball with a slapper that went to a mid major D1. Her current d3 team has a freshman slapper that has started the season with a 19 game hitting streak and is hitting over .500. The thing both of these girls had in common was that you did not need to a stopwatch to know they were fast. Everyone in the stands new by watching these to girls that they were really fast. Interestingly neither of these girls were as elite stealing bases as they were going home to first. Stealing bases is a different skill set. DD is just above average home to first but is very good at stealing bases.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
. Stealing bases is a different skill set. DD is just above average home to first but is very good at stealing bases.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Totally agree with this. Base stealers have a certain tenacity about them and are very aggressive base runners.

Apr 14, 2022
I agree that 2.65 is very fast - but even non-track running fast runners can usually be pretty close to each other in the pack for the first 20 or so yards. If you watch a 60 yard dash that’s when you’ll see the elite runners pull away about half-way or more through. You‘ll see it even more in the 100m. Not much difference noticed in the first 20 yards.

ETA: We also have to keep in mind that she might not have been the fastest runner in the first 20 yards. It all depends on when her kick and stride kicked in. Her middle and later 20 yard splits were probably faster than her first 20 yards.
Not trying to begrudge fast times they ran the fastest they could with no control over timing method. For comparison it is fine. You are right it is close .1s is probably just under a yard of separation, that is why how you time really matters.
2.65 is the fastest of the 2 splits.
1.78s is fastest 10m split 1.06s fastest second 10m split at the time of artical.
2.84s total. Adjusting to 20 yards you get 2.6-2.65s.
My guess is timing not starting on first movement but when the back leg breaks the barrier. Maybe simulating a base steal.

The reason I posted this; for the OP if multiple people are telling you your daughter is fast, she is probably fast. Do not go by posted times. My suggestion is time teammates/competitors in the same manor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi