Is it really the SAME?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
I just spent the last hour leafing through the Model Swings sticky in the Hitting Technical forum to look for swings for my individual players to try to emulate based on similarities in their start point. I came across a few threads that refer to there being one swing, whether baseball or softball. It's obviously not the first time I've heard the "Debate". More often than not, the side favors "There's only ONE" ideal swing. For the sake of conversation....I'm starting NOT to buy this anymore. Not that there's any critical differences.....but there's clearly more challenges presented in the game of fastpitch than there is in baseball. The only reason I say that is because the hitters perception of the vertical plane of the pitch for softball can change in 2 directions...in baseball it's only going to change in one direction. Forgive my ignorance....but for a consistent hitter to be consistent....there has to be some level of difference in the mechanics to be able to prep for a pitch that's going to elevate above the perceived path of the ball as opposed to preparing to adjust to only a descending path. Obviously what I'm talking about is the challenge the rise presents in FP.

So...when you see the Fastpitch pitcher make the baseball hitters look stupid..... is that just for TV? OR is there truly a difference in the fundamental mechanics that a hitter needs to understand to be able to hit the pitch that perceptually "rises" through the hitting zone?

Feb 7, 2013
A couple of thoughts:

- a good swing is a good swing that can hit any moving round object;
- many former college and minor league players from baseball play men's fastpitch as adults and hit very well with their "baseball" swing;
- the riseball actually flattens out as it approaches home plate and I'm sure baseball players can hit a flat pitch coming from a ball twice the size of a baseball. Ever hear of a "rising fastball" in baseball?
- because of hot composite bats, shrinking strike zones, better conditioned batters, and short fences; fastpitch batters can be very effective with less than perfect swing mechanics.
- no doubt in my mind that you can't go wrong teaching Miguel Cabrera's swing mechanics to fastpitch players.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
I'm not saying there's 2 swings.... just wondering if there's slight difference is the swing. Just like golf. There's one swing so to speak....but there's definitely a moderate difference in the way that swing is executed when swinging a sand wedge vs a driver.

Sep 29, 2014
There are obviously adjustments that hitters make to specific situations and pitches but the basic sound mechanics are the same.

As far as baseball hitters looking stupid against fastball pitchers it is real but only because it is different than what they practice every day. Immerse a good baseball hitter in fast pitch softball for a while and their hand eye coordination will adjust and they will do just fine.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm with you FR. I see softball accommodating a much wider spectrum of swings that can be successful. Bigger ball, longer barrel, hot bats, breaking pitches that don't break nearly as much over 37 feet as they do over 54 feet. Reaction times that are typically smaller than in baseball. i don't think a good baseball swing would struggle very long in softball, I think it would adjust quickly, but a lot of softball swings would need a makeover to hit baseballs from a good pitcher.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
JJ.....I've lived in the pitching forums on here for over 3 years......AND I have nothing but the best to say about this forum from an educational perspective. Even the folks that get boo'd out of the stadium add value. Sometimes the worst advice, turns into the greatest learning experience. Sometimes you need to challenge the "Norm" to get the creative juices flowing. DD has always been satisfied with her less than stellar offensive production given her value in the circle and defensively at 3B when not in the circle. All of a sudden, she's taking her focus to the batters box. Now I need to learn a new language. I've been somewhat well versed in hitting mechanics as a result of some very good coaches clinics.....but I still lack the ability to put concept to practice. That's why I value this forum.....concept turns reality. It was easy for me to understand the high level mechanics....but diagnostics and repair given the current state is another story altogether. I now often linger into the shark tank that is the "Hitting Practical" forum. The "Hitting Technical" forum is more like the Lamprey Eel tank.....not sure I'm quite ready for that yet :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"- because of hot composite bats, shrinking strike zones, better conditioned batters, and short fences; fastpitch batters can be very effective with less than perfect swing mechanics. "

Agree with this completely. DD is first year 16u, and we have been away from the game for over a year, so I was surprised how much harder the girls were hitting the ball than they used to. Saw some swings that were not that great of technical swings, that were hitting the ball well. Witnessed 7 over the fence HRs for the weekend. Many balls hit to the fence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC