Is Fastpitch Softball Pitching is Different than Baseball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Yes. Not that I agree with everything that softball coaches or pitchers do.

For one, the arm is coming down with gravity.

The next biggest deal is that spinning a softball at the pitching distance does not necessarily slow the ball down. Breaking pitches are thrown hard.

The windmill is conducive to spinning the ball due to the time and distance it takes to get around the circle.

Next, the seams are raised so that is conducive to pitchers wanting to or naturally spinning the ball (not sure which came first, seams or spins).

The ball is not being thrown downwards and it seems to move less than a baseball.

One pitcher stays in a lot and is typically not pulled from the game until she drops (Example: Arizona and Fowler).

There is no control on the lightness of the bats. Whether it is rules, the fact that a baseball bat is wide in diameter, or the guys being being macho, the bats are seriously hot in fastpitch while not in baseball (although college baseball is close; I heard they changed bat rules recently).

The leap and drag of the legs seems to make for a less solid plant, but the gains in distance seem to outweigh it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For one, the arm is coming down with gravity.

I can't argue with that. But so is the last part of the windmill, once you get past the 12 O'clock position.

The next biggest deal is that spinning a softball at the pitching distance does not necessarily slow the ball down. Breaking pitches are thrown hard.

Wasn't sure of the point, but FP breaking balls have similar reduced speed %'s as baseball.

Next, the seams are raised so that is conducive to pitchers wanting to or naturally spinning the ball (not sure which came first, seams or spins).

The ball is not being thrown downwards and it seems to move less than a baseball.

So if a baseball pitcher can move a ball this much, why would they ever throw a fastball. Don't FP PC's claim the breaks of D1 pitchers to be 12-14"?

[video=youtube_share;HgMJanFoYKc]http://youtu.be/HgMJanFoYKc[/video]

There is no control on the lightness of the bats. Whether it is rules, the fact that a baseball bat is wide in diameter, or the guys being being macho, the bats are seriously hot in fastpitch while not in baseball (although college baseball is close; I heard they changed bat rules recently).

Baseball bats are bigger, this should even out the 3" difference in the ball size. BB bats not hot, really? That's why you can hit that little dense ball 400+ feet. A few at over 500 feet.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is still my question/answer the FB is a setup pitch for the rest of your arsenal. If it wasn't somehow successful it wouldn't be thrown more than any other pitch in history.

[video=youtube_share;ovntLAl60dA]http://youtu.be/ovntLAl60dA[/video]

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't know why people think FP breaking balls are slower. They are not, except for the rollover. Look at the NFCA camp results. Again not sure what softball you are watching. Even the rollover is thrown at significant speed.

Breaking balls are as fast as fastballs on what planet or parallel universe?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Breaking balls are as fast as fastballs on what planet or parallel universe?

Hey Green, I've always wondered what time it is over there now. You posted at 10:54 PM where I live.

EDIT*****
For some crazy reason I've always thought you were in England, not New England. Sorry.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid