IR for Dummies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
How about an IR thread for the rest of us? One where humor is welcome but words such as "humerous" or "medial" or any other words that give me a headache or I need a medical dictionary to understand are outlawed.

As someone who kinda, sorta thinks he gets IR but probably doesn't, isn't IR basically this video applied to fastpitch softball pitching? (I'm too dumb to know how to embed a Youtube video to a post so feel free to fix it for me mods). I realize there's a lot more to it than this but maybe we can start with this (if this is an agreed upon starting point) and build on it until we have to lock the thread because all the pitching geeks have chimed in with all their fancy-schmancy, confusing terminology. Pitching geeks are welcome, just dumb it waaayyy down for us.

Shoulder Internal Rotation Exercise - YouTube

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How about an IR thread for the rest of us? One where humor is welcome but words such as "humerous" or "medial" or any other words that give me a headache or I need a medical dictionary to understand are outlawed.

As someone who kinda, sorta thinks he gets IR but probably doesn't, isn't IR basically this video applied to fastpitch softball pitching? (I'm too dumb to know how to embed a Youtube video to a post so feel free to fix it for me mods). I realize there's a lot more to it than this but maybe we can start with this (if this is an agreed upon starting point) and build on it until we have to lock the thread because all the pitching geeks have chimed in with all their fancy-schmancy, confusing terminology. Pitching geeks are welcome, just dumb it waaayyy down for us.

Shoulder Internal Rotation Exercise - YouTube

Just helping you on how to embed a youtube video. Carry on.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/11127-video-help.html

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think the video below shows IR as well as any. IR is simply the using the rotation of the arm, especially during the whip phase from 3 to about 8 o'clock. The palm is up at 3 o'clock, and rotates through release to palm down. IR is what almost every pitcher uses to impart the most efficient whip. The alternative is the palm pushing the ball down and through release, usually followed by "hello elbow." Many well meaning coaches teach the bowling/wrist flip method--following the long mistaken belief that it is the wrist flip that whips the ball, rather than the natural whip that comes with IR.
Softball Power Drive - mechanics in slow motion 1000 frame per second - YouTube

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Below is an example of someone who appears to have been taught the bowling method, but I'd have to guess that if you could see her pitching in slo-mo, she is likely using IR
EASTON SOFTBALL - PITCHING TIPS: STANCE - YouTube

With just a quick youtube search, you can find many examples of people who don't realize the hand/forearm rotate through the release:
Softball Pitching Basic Skills with Crissy Rapp - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFmVxDMDkY&feature=fvwrel

My daughter and I attended a clinic with a local pitching coach. The PC complimented her several times on her peel drop with perfect 12/6 rotation, but told her she needed to work on keeping her palm/fingers behind the ball. With the naked eye and at full speed using IR, she saw my daughters palm had rotated down just after release, and her perception was that the hand wasn't behind the ball at release. Even though at the exact moment of release, the fingers were where they needed to be to impart a perfect 12/6 rotation, she saw the forearm/hand rotating and thought it was a flaw.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877