Interesting video on how to break in a glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Got this video in an email from a local retailer and thought I would share. It's from Wilson, showing how one of their glove crafters, a Mr. Aso, breaks in a glove for Brandon Phillips.

It's a pretty interesting process. But I know the topic comes up a lot so I figured I'd share. Curious as to what y'all think of the idea of pouring hot water on it?

Oct 10, 2011
break in

This is a great way to break in a glove. The only thing I don't do is use the water, however many have said it's fine. I like CaseDawgs tip to warm it up briefly In a dryer with some towels before starting. Working on one today:)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
At Dicks Sporting Goods they use a steamer, guess that is not much different. I'm still a fan of Barbasol shaving cream.

Dec 19, 2012
Shaving cream does not break in a glove; it is applied as a protectant. Lanolin is a much better protectant. Shaving cream is a form of soap and lanolin is a wax. Shaving cream contains harsh chemicals that deteriorate the leather over time and pure lanolin does not. Tubes or jars of lanolin can be found in the isle for nursing mothers at pharmacy stores. It's a bit expensive but it is worth it.

Feb 7, 2013
Or you can always break in a glove the old fashioned way by just playing catch and when not in use, put a ball in the glove and wrap it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ All I have ever done is play catch, and a lot of it. My current mitt is going on 20 years and was just refurbished by Bretman. Perhaps the results are the same, I don't know. And no oil, either. I don't particularly take care of it. It is in the dirt, in the ball bag and in the back of the truck. Now, if Wilson wants to pay me to break in gloves, I will do whatever it is they think works.

Dec 19, 2012
BTW, only try Aso's method on a high quality, $200 - $300 glove. His method is not meant for the cheaper gloves and mitts due to the inferior leather and stitching.

Dec 20, 2012
Shaving cream does not break in a glove; it is applied as a protectant. Lanolin is a much better protectant. Shaving cream is a form of soap and lanolin is a wax. Shaving cream contains harsh chemicals that deteriorate the leather over time and pure lanolin does not. Tubes or jars of lanolin can be found in the isle for nursing mothers at pharmacy stores. It's a bit expensive but it is worth it.

I use it to BREAK IN MY GLOVE. You can use it for whatever you want. If I put it on, it softens and relaxes the leather and does no damage then it works. Exactly which of the ingredients are harmful to leather?

Barbosol w/aloe has no lanolin but does have aloe and some of the really big words are used as softening agents. But why in the world would you want to put straight lanolin on a glove? Wax will build up over time and not allow oils to get back into the material when/if you do oil your glove causing it to dry out and harden. And the greasy feel after using it sucks. I have used Barbosol as a glove conditioner since I was a kid. Use it on my dd's gloves, never one problem. If your kid pitches then you know how much abuse a dad's catcher glove goes through. Mine was almost 10 when I retired it. Barbosol w/aloe, all I ever used.

Lather it up, rub it in, stick a ball in the pocket , wrap it up and sit over night. Next day lather it up, rub it in, play catch for 20-30 min, do a little folding and bending, one last lather and wrapping. Next day perfect(for dd). Will do an application once a year here after. The alcohol evaporates all the water that dries out the leather and the aloe and stearic acid softens and moisturizes the leather without a heavy residue.

Also seen this disclaimer regarding the use of water:

A professional ball player will sometimes break in a glove in a way that will contradict what glove manufacturers recommend. This method is not endorsed by glove manufacturers, because it will shorten the life of your glove. Professional ball players usually receive their gloves free of charge, so they are not as interested in longevity, as a quick break-in period.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Well Slingnit, I guess we use products on gloves for a purpose.

The ingredients of shaving cream are basically (in descending order): Water, fatty acids, complex alcohols, complex salts, and liquid petroleum gasses other than for the purpose of pressurization. Every ingredient in basic shaving cream degrades leather. It softens the leather by DEGRADING the leather.

We know water is not good for leather.
We know salt is not good for leather.
We know petroleum gasses are not good for leather.

Many of the same ingredents in shaving cream are used in detergents. Surficants, emulsifiers, alcohol, salt, etc. Oh, and aloe is used for medicinal purposes, not softening. Aloe is used for things like cuts and constipation.

Now, let's take a look at Lanolin. Lanolin is a true form of wax. Lanolin is extracted from the wool of sheep. Once extracted from the wool and purified, it's main purposes are for protection, beautification, and skin treatment. What is leather? It is skin......do we not want to keep our gloves protected, supple, and beautiful? I know I do. I also want gloves to last.

One applies lanolin very sparingly on a glove. Constant glove use eventually requires additional applications. Once or twice a year will suffice. Lanolin does not make leather slippery; as a matter of fact it gives the leather a very slightly tacky feel. Lanolin doubles as waterproofing.

Use what you want Slingnit, but I prefer to use lanolin. I have used it for quite some time now with no ill effects.