Input on DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
She needs to work on her lower half, it looks like the hands are starting the swing. The hips need to start the swing and she could get more out of her back a half, she needs to drive the back half. IMO, also on a side note, in the video, that last pitch she didn't swing at. She starts her hands and stops, because of a bad pitch. She needs to start the hips instead, then stop from swinging. The train needs to leave the station and then read the pitch and stop.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Are there any drills that would help with getting her lower body working more? We noticed last night during her hitting lessons that she is raising up and leaning out over the plate as well and that is causing her to cast. When she doesn't do that her hands stay more inside the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Are there any drills that would help with getting her lower body working more? We noticed last night during her hitting lessons that she is raising up and leaning out over the plate as well and that is causing her to cast. When she doesn't do that her hands stay more inside the ball.

Yes there are drills ... but first she needs to have the correct goals. Get the goals correct, and often the body will accommodate the objective with efficient body movements.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
p.s. the "leaning out" you are referring to is your daughter's approach to "reading the pitch" and leveling.

Your daughter is a 'bat dragger'. She pulls the barrel forward along the length of the bat.

The pressure of the top hand should be orthogonal to the barrel ... not along the barrel's length.

Turn the barrel and throw it. Let's see how her body moves to support that goal.

szyhiv.gif

There is more ... some of which is goal/objective based ... but begin with this.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I'm not sure what you mean by correct goals. My DD goes to hitting lessons 4 times a week and pitching twice a week not to mention travel ball practice and tournaments nearly every weekend. All of this and I don't have to push her one bit to do any of it. Very dedicated kid trying to get better and the only reason I posted on this site was for the opinions of the you guys. My daughter reads these posts and takes every comment and tries to use them to get better. I'm sorry if I took your comment out of the wrong contest but it does seem to be meant that way.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm not sure what you mean by correct goals. My DD goes to hitting lessons 4 times a week and pitching twice a week not to mention travel ball practice and tournaments nearly every weekend. All of this and I don't have to push her one bit to do any of it. Very dedicated kid trying to get better and the only reason I posted on this site was for the opinions of the you guys. My daughter reads these posts and takes every comment and tries to use them to get better. I'm sorry if I took your comment out of the wrong contest but it does seem to be meant that way.

Get the goals/objectives correct, and the body will tend to move in a manner to support those goals/objectives.

Often inefficient movement can be traced to having an improper objective/goal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan