Injury issue - not sure which forum to post in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
Okay, this one gets kind of odd and personal.

As some know, my DD is on the 10U rec team I coach. The plan going into the season was for her to pitch and catch for this team and then for us to move on to a TB team. My AC was the AC on the TB team we were likely to move on to. He watched her pitch at practice and was sufficiently pleased to recommend her for a backup pitcher spot on that team. My DD and I were talking through our options and I was trying to help her decide what she wanted to do, but trying to be very careful to make sure that it was her decision.

2 weeks ago, a boy at school was flirt fighting with her by pulling on her backpack. My DD is not one to take these things well, so she spun on him and busted his tail, but in the process she got her ring finger on her throwing hand twisted in the vinyl straps on her backpack. It swelled up a little but never got too bad and never bruised. She always kept full range of motion but it was painful. I figured she just sprained it and she had 4 days of rest before she played again so she wrapped it every day and we didn't worry about it.

She is a very hard-headed, tough little thing that will not admit weakness to her daddy. I had to miss the first game that she played after it happened. She went out to pitch and for the first time in her life broke down in tears in the circle because it hurt to grip the ball. She couldn't throw with any velocity and everything was a mile high. My AC pulled her pretty quickly and then she talked her way in to catch, but she couldn't really throw without pain so he moved her out to LF and just had her stay in to bat. She was very excited that she got to bunt with the bases loaded and drive in a run, so not a total loss.

She keeps telling me that the finger doesn't hurt, so we played through a game with her at catcher with minimal problems. She made 3 innings, which was our entire game before time limit, but she was in significant pain by the end. She could throw overhand fine through that game. Then last night she tried to pitch again. It was the same thing. No velocity and everything was high. She made it through an inning just because we have a 5 run limit but she was almost in tears by the end. She said it hurt to try to grip the ball to pitch. Then I moved her to third and the first thing she did during warmups was throw an absolute dart from outside the third base foul line to our first base that made the other team's AC's eyes about come out of her head. It was pretty freaking hilarious.

So, my question is, if she can't grip the ball to throw a pitch because it hurts but she can throw rockets overhand should I be looking at this as a mental issue or is there a potential injury that could be causing something like this? I am baffled and trying to take this out of it being my DD so I can approach it a little more analytically, but the Daddy side of me is fighting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would strongly lean towards injury, you need to get her checked out if you have not yet. And/or sit her for at least couple weeks.

Jun 18, 2013
I would strongly lean towards injury, you need to get her checked out if you have not yet. And/or sit her for at least couple weeks.

MY DW called and got us an appointment at 2:15. Wish me luck because if the doc says she has to sit for a few weeks I might get beaten with a softball bat.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
MY DW called and got us an appointment at 2:15. Wish me luck because if the doc says she has to sit for a few weeks I might get beaten with a softball bat.

I know how you feel.

DD #3 was pulled from a 10U all-star team, and the last tournament of the summer, due to a wrist injury. She was SO angry at me! She was threatening to walk several miles each way to the practices, and ignore the doctor. Doctor wouldn't let her practice.

And, a few weeks ago, on orders of the same doctor, we pulled DD #2 off her track team the day before her FIRST HS meet EVER, out for the rest of the season. But then, it hurt for her to run, so she didn't complain.

Coaching the rest of the season will be hard. The pitcher on DD #1's old TB team broke her hand in a scrimmage, and that was the HC's DD. HC still coached the upcoming tournament, and brought his injured DD to cheer on the team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, my question is, if she can't grip the ball to throw a pitch because it hurts but she can throw rockets overhand should I be looking at this as a mental issue or is there a potential injury that could be causing something like this?

Uh...wow. You aren't thinking straight.

Pitching: After warming up by throwing 30 to 50 pitches at maximum velocity, she then throws 15 to 30 pitches each inning at maximum velocity.
Playing 3B: After warming up tossing the ball around a few times, she then spends the game with three warmup tosses each inning and *MAYBE* throwing the ball at maximum velocity twice a game.

Don't you think if your DD throwing 100 pitches overhand at maximum velocity her finger might start to hurt?

Take her to a doctor. Then *FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ADVICE*, which is probably going to be, "She shouldn't throw for 4 weeks."

Getting medical advice on a more or less anonymous bulletin board doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
Getting medical advice on a more or less anonymous Internet bulletin board is perhaps a little suspect.

Step One is to find out how bad she is hurt. Take her to a doctor. Then *FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ADVICE*, which is probably going to be, "She shouldn't throw for 4 weeks."

I'm not exactly going to perform any emergency surgeries based on the recommendation of any forum posters, but most of you guys have seen more throwing related injuries than I have at this point so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Oct 3, 2009
I hope your appointment at 2:15 goes well. I will just say over my DD's softball journey I never said to myself: "Boy I took her to the doctor too soon!" but I have said to myself the opposite!

Maybe the last piece of advice you should tell your DD comes from Crash Davis in Bull Durham: "when you get in a fight ...you don't hit him with your pitching hand."

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Maybe the last piece of advice you should tell your DD comes from Crash Davis in Bull Durham: "when you get in a fight ...you don't hit him with your pitching hand."

Side note: DD used a hot glue gun for a project. She was up until 2 a.m. working on it (last Sunday night). Next day, she shows me two BIG FAT blisters (I'm talking white, full of fluid) - one on finger pad of index finger and the other on pad of thumb. And she immediately said "Not my throwing hand, mom!! I'm not that stupid!" LOL!

Jun 18, 2013
Nothing broken or fractured. Just hyper-extended. Told her to rest this weekend and buddy tape the finger Monday and see how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi