injured player advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
If you feel like it's more pressure than pain, maybe try telling her tonight you appreciate her coming out so the team can play, and that she should just whatever she can and don't worry about the rest. Tell her if she hits the ball and can't run it out, that's ok, you appreciate her trying. Mostly, tell her just to have fun out there. It's just a game.

Perfect response. Reminds me of a guy I know. Head of a pretty successful organization in our area. Demands a high level of commitment, and effort in practices, and shows up at teams practices when needed, and is good at the "bad cop" role when girls need a little extra encouragement. I have heard him many times though telling girls to "have fun" during games. Don't be afraid to mess up...mistakes happen, but have fun.

May 6, 2015
girl played last night, had a brace on ankle, soft brace, held up pretty good, checked on her multiple times, she said it hurt a little but she was good, wasn't running full speed, didn't push her, reeled in her leads a little closer. still hitless though (even though I pitched to her once, ump called her out looking). played only corners.

hopefully better for playoffs next week!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Have you tried asking her why she isn't swinging the bat? With girls like that, I tend to dig into their heads and try to find the root of the issue (typically a fear of failure), and then work on helping them resolve the issue.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Building on what Eric F said, last night I worked with a 10U player for the first time since last summer. She'd started out afraid of the ball and pretty much bailing out of the box every time, but I worked with her and got her swinging the bat. Not exactly a model swing but ok for a 9 year old, and good news was she got some hits.

Then last night I hear she hasn't been swinging the bat again. Just standing there (at least not bailing out.) So we did some tee work (she'd lost a lot of ground over the winter but started remembering some of it again). Then I did some front toss with her. At first the swings were pretty weak, but then she started to hit the ball harder. Again, a lot of flaws in the mechanics, but good, strong contact nonetheless. So that's when I started getting into her head.

I mock yelled at her, "Why would a girl who can hit the ball like that just stand there instead of swinging the bat?" She was grinning ear to ear. I kept coming back to that as I pitched to her, and she got more and more aggressive at the plate as we went along. She also started covering the plate better and hitting more pitches overall.

Finally at the end of the lesson I pointed to my collapsible field rake and told her, "I better hear you were swinging the bat between now and the next time I see you. Otherwise I'm going to chase you around the field with that rake!" She wasn't quite sure if I was serious and asked "Will you do it fast?" and I told her, "Well, I don't know if it will be fast, but as fast as I can go."

I think she just needed someone outside of mom and dad to tell her she could hit. I tried to make it a case of "Of course you can hit, why would you think otherwise?" Hopefully that's enough to get the off her shoulder and into the pitch. A couple of good smacks and she ought to be good to go. Then we can work on the actual swing.

May 6, 2015
I think not swinging is mostly fear of failure, and also simply not making decision quick enough. I keep trying to stress to her to start to swing, and then make decision, and put brakes on if it is bad pitch. half the time when she does swing, it is already in teh catchers' mitt (or at least would be if catchers at our level caught the ball). tried relating to shooting skeet, which her mom says she does, you have to anticipate, can't decide to shoot then pull gun up to shoulder and site the pigeon (I know my terminology is all wrong, just trying to relate to girl).

or maybe softball is simply not her thing. no shame or anything wrong with that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The key words here are 10U and REC....if her parents are OK with her playing, put her in the game, concentrate on fundamentals and having fun and stop worrying about winning.

May 6, 2015
not worried about winning at all really. want this girl (on my team for second year) to have best experience possible. issue is a few times a game seems on verge of tears. frustration? pain?

Jun 12, 2015
Sounds like the parents are forcing her to play when she really doesn't want to.....

This was my first thought, and of course she's torn. She may not enjoy playing but she does enjoy having mom and dad happy with her. From that perspective she'd want to play even if she doesn't really enjoy it. A hurt ankle is kind of perfect - she can sit but have a good reason so her parents don't think it's that she doesn't enjoy it.

At this age I vote err on the side of caution with injuries. Lots of playing years ahead of them but if they do permanent damage now they may never play again.

May 6, 2015
update, played in our reg season finale, did OK, ace on ankle again. couple of times seemed a little down, but mostly OK.

last night, playoff game (3 team division, 2 vs 3 game, winner plays 1 on friday), she played, and did not get hit, but she did get an RBI! bases loaded, 4 ball count, so I come in to pitch to her, no strikes. foul tip, looking strike, then solid foul ball on 1B side. I am thinking to myself do not let me be the one to strike her out. she hits ball down 1st base line, F2 makes routine play, but run scores from third. first ball she put in play this year! was so proud and excited for her. moments like that are why I coach.

one more game to go! girls really hitting the ball well, nice and aggressive at plate for most part, not looking for walks anymore, wanting to hit, and disappointed when P does not give them anything to hit. defending well too when they do not rush it, and they make better decisions than I do sometimes!. R1, ball hit to my 2B, I am telling her to go one (as most dependable play), without hesitation she goes two, SS is there, fumble ball a little but picks up with bare hand still touching 2B just in time. previous game, my DD at F3, recovering an overthrow from a play, runners moving, I yell to get it to P, she ignores me, goes to C, we make play at plate for an out. add in a few fly ball DPs, and one ground ball DP (really baserunning error, R2 went back to 2B when R3 forced out at HP, easy force out at 3B, but still a DP) and we got run ruled very few innings (4 runs) last 6 games or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez