Infielders face mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks everyone. You've all been a great help. After reading all of the posts, I think we're gonna go try on the Rip-it and the Schutt, see how they feel and go from there!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just happen to be watching the LL softball and the 2nd basegirl and SS are wearing masks. Why??

Why not? Another MLB pitcher took one to the head this week as well as several college softball players this season. Some of the softball players were corners, a couple of pitchers, a second baseman and an outfielder. Why shouldn't those LL players wear one if their parents want them to be protected? A bad hop or missed catch hitting them in the face could happen to anyone, anytime no matter how skilled they are.

To answer your question, the Rip-it fit my DD better when he was younger but as she got older, the Schutte mask fit just as well and was more comfortable for her.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2015
Yeah, I can't think of any reason why my daughter WOULDN'T wear one at any infield position. The only time she even notices she's wearing it anymore is when it's extremely hot.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I can't think of any reason why my daughter WOULDN'T wear one at any infield position. The only time she even notices she's wearing it anymore is when it's extremely hot.

I think you just came up with one. The other is for some it restricts visabilty. Others just do not like the bulkiness. As with most things you have to take the bad with the good. This time of year where I live wearing a mask is not a pleasant experience.

Dec 11, 2010
Local gal ,ss at a larger hs and on a very good summer team, got ger front teeth knocked loose during warm ups before a hs game this spring. Just a bad hop, nothing unusual, not hard hit ball. Stuff just happens sometimes.

They managed to get a dentist to the field to shoot her full of Novocain for the game and somewhat get things where they are supposed to be. Idk, I just don't think it's all bad to wear a mask when you are on the field.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just happen to be watching the LL softball and the 2nd basegirl and SS are wearing masks. Why??

Since DD pitches it is also easier to throw her in if she has her mask already.

If you are in the circle and the coach walks out with a fielding mask in their hand you know you are in trouble.

Jan 24, 2009
Local gal ,ss at a larger hs and on a very good summer team, got ger front teeth knocked loose during warm ups before a hs game this spring. Just a bad hop, nothing unusual, not hard hit ball. Stuff just happens sometimes.

They managed to get a dentist to the field to shoot her full of Novocain for the game and somewhat get things where they are supposed to be. Idk, I just don't think it's all bad to wear a mask when you are on the field.

Wait, are you implying that there is such a thing as a bad hop? Even at the SS position a kid could get the occasional bad hop?

Aren't all fields meticulously manicured by a full-time staff and maintained to MLB ballpark standards, thus preventing any batted ball from changing it's predictable path? C'mon, there is no way that a ball could shoot UP as the fielder's face and glove go down. Impossible! I call BS!

Dec 11, 2010
Wait, are you implying that there is such a thing as a bad hop? Even at the SS position a kid could get the occasional bad hop?

Aren't all fields meticulously manicured by a full-time staff and maintained to MLB ballpark standards, thus preventing any batted ball from changing it's predictable path? C'mon, there is no way that a ball could shoot UP as the fielder's face and glove go down. Impossible! I call BS!

I know! Somebody needs to teach that kid how to field correctly, right?

It was a regional championship and no way was she not going to play. I saw her playing without a mask after it happened this summer, I guess she figured teeth are easy enough to fix...

This also fits Amy's rule about kids getting hurt most often in warmups too. (Hope I got that right, lol!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30