Infield/outfield indoor practice drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2015
Alright so we're stuck inside due to cold weather and our season is fast approaching us.So I'm looking for some great drills we can utilize indoors that incorporates infield /outfield working on situational scenarios...In hopes of receiving some great ideas here today that we can put to work this afternoon.Videos of the drills would be awesome!!!!Thanks😊

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2016
Give us some guidance here- how many players, age, about how big of a space, is it just you or do you have some help with running the drills?

Sep 12, 2015
Varsity high school.12players Regulation size basketball court. Two coachs.

Mar 10, 2016
Here is one drill that the girls really liked that has helped with infield/outfield communications: (sorry we have never taken video of this)

We run two lines of outfielders on one end of the gym with one line of infielders. (Think of it as a SS and a left and center fielder, as far as position)

We have a coach throw or hit a fly ball between them. They have to communicate who fields it and we make the other outfielder (who is not making a play on the ball call "home or 2nd base). If the infielder is the one making the play, we make the "center fielder" call the throw out.

If it's called for 2nd base, it goes back to the player next to the coach, if it's called "home" we use painters tape on the other wall to signify the catcher position and throw at the box.

At some point ALL the girls want to hit the painter's taped box/catcher. It very quickly becomes competitive but don't be surprised if it's ugly to begin with until they learn to communicate properly.

If the gym is big enough you can run two lines and will keep all the girls busy. We usually rotate all the lines as well. BTW, we use painters tape because it comes off so easily after practice.

Sep 12, 2015
Awesome!! Sounds like a great drill.We can definitely use some work on communication. Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877