Individual vs. Team Pitching Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
It sounds like you are a new TB coach trying to formulate a practice plan...Don't be so dismissive about catchers having dedicated practices. If you truly want to succeed you need strong catchers, and they all need to be on the same page with the HC. There are numerous drills that can be worked for catchers blocking, framing, signs, throw downs, pick offs, how to set up, how to read batters, bunt coverage, pop flies, etc. IMO, they should be doing all these things while pitchers are throwing to their bucket moms & dads. The last 5-10 minutes catchers can actually catch pitchers a simulated inning or two. This should be done outside of normal team practice.

JJS, I haven't really been clear. Let me try and clarify.

Currently we have all pitchers (4-5 girls) in a dedicated lesson/workout as a group with a PC for 1 hour each week. The HC wants all catchers there and calls it "Pitcher/Catcher" practice.

I'm in disagreement on this philosophy as the catchers aren't getting a workout at all, except to squat for 1 hour while the pitchers are doing their thing with the PC. There isn't an opportunity to do anything with the catchers as we can't hold up the PC.

Furthermore, this practice is an extra evening in addition to the regular practice schedule. We're asking 4-5 additional team members (not all catchers BTW) to come and get a "catching workout" while receiving the pitchers.

I'm in favor of the pitchers being responsible for getting their own "receivers" ala bucket moms or dads. If a teammate wants to give an extra evening to help out the team by "receiving" pitches, then that's cool.

So. . . trying to get a feel from the collective if this situation is fairly normal or not.

Feb 7, 2013
I would say that "no" it's not normal to require catchers to be the "receivers" for pitchers as a separate practice not attended by all players. And if it's mandatory that catchers attend these separate practices, the coaches better be working with the catchers as much as the pitchers. JMHO.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I would say that "no" it's not normal to require catchers to be the "receivers" for pitchers as a separate practice not attended by all players. And if it's mandatory that catchers attend these separate practices, the coaches better be working with the catchers as much as the pitchers. JMHO.

This is what I was thinking. Sorry, I thought OP was a coach trying to decide how to run his pitching and catching lessons.

our TB team has separate pitching and catching practice which is usually b4 or after the main practice. and my DD and I do a lot of practice with ourselves. only down time really for us all year is just the couple sept and oct. just to give her a break from 10months of training at least 2-3 times a week not counting on tourney's kiddo played about 120 games this past yr.

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City

Currently we have all pitchers (4-5 girls) in a dedicated lesson/workout as a group with a PC for 1 hour each week. The HC wants all catchers there and calls it "Pitcher/Catcher" practice.

I'm in disagreement on this philosophy as the catchers aren't getting a workout at all, except to squat for 1 hour while the pitchers are doing their thing with the PC. There isn't an opportunity to do anything with the catchers as we can't hold up the PC.

Furthermore, this practice is an extra evening in addition to the regular practice schedule. We're asking 4-5 additional team members (not all catchers BTW) to come and get a "catching workout" while receiving the pitchers.

I'm in favor of the pitchers being responsible for getting their own "receivers" ala bucket moms or dads. If a teammate wants to give an extra evening to help out the team by "receiving" pitches, then that's cool.

So. . . trying to get a feel from the collective if this situation is fairly normal or not.

Yeah, this is a different situation than your OP. I would say no, catchers wouldn't need to be at a practice like that. Parent on bucket. If it's instruction, catchers aren't calling an inning, placing pitches etc.

Nov 18, 2013

This is why catchers are the hardest working girls on the team. The good ones have team practice, hitting practice, pitching practice, catching practice and can’t get enough. I don’t know any who would consider it a burden to catch at a pitchers workout. Quite the opposite. DD’s always jumped at the chance to work with her as did catchers from other teams. They just loved to catch and took every opportunity they could get. While pitchers are practicing they get to know them inside and out. They see and hear the PC’s instruction and can help correct problems so Daddy doesn’t need to do it from the bleachers and turn off college coaches. 

I'd agree it doesn't make sense to require non catchers to be there.

Feb 7, 2013
I don’t know any who would consider it a burden to catch at a pitchers workout.

Let me ask you this. Does this same coach have a mandatory "catchers practice" where they require all the pitchers to attend just so they have someone to throw to the catchers so the catchers can work on receiving, blocking, framing, etc. and no instruction is given to the pitchers? If not, than in the OP, I only see a one way street, where the coach only really cares about the pitchers and the catchers are an afterthought.

IMO, there is a big difference between having the pitcher/catcher battery working together before, during or after practice vs. having a mandatory pitching practice on a different day where a PC is working only with the pitchers and could care less about the catcher.

Let me ask you this. Does this same coach have a mandatory "catchers practice" where they require all the pitchers to attend just so they have someone to throw to the catchers so the catchers can work on receiving, blocking, framing, etc. and no instruction is given to the pitchers? If not, than in the OP, I only see a one way street, where the coach only really cares about the pitchers and the catchers are an afterthought.

IMO, there is a big difference between having the pitcher/catcher battery working together before, during or after practice vs. having a mandatory pitching practice on a different day where a PC is working only with the pitchers and could care less about the catcher.
boy if any coach didn't care equally about their catchers and their pitchers together and working with them equally has issues and my DD wouldn't be on that team.

Nov 18, 2013

Yup, it is a one way street and compared to pitchers, catchers are an afterthought. Nope, I’ve never seen a catchers practice with mandatory attendance for all pitchers. Catchers shouldn’t have to be required although I’m surprised they wouldn’t want to be there.

Pitchers can help in that regard by giving proper credit to their catchers rather than blaming them for their mistakes. DD played with a girl whose Dad actually told me his DD would have four times as many K’s with a better catcher, not surprisingly that would have been just enough to put her past my DD. Funny part is they had the same catcher! Maybe sometimes when the ump calls a ball it’s because it really didn’t get over the plate rather than the catcher pulling it out of the zone or not framing. Oops, I’m off track again and venting. Anyway, like it or not pitchers are the princesses and catchers are the frogs. The Dad or one of DD’s catchers always told her to be the best frog she can be and take pride in it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd