Increasing Bat Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2012
Hello all again,

Obviously the biggest struggle we had this year being new to the travel scene was bat speed. We focused a lot on bunting to try and be competitive this one tournament we were in this fall, we have 6 girls on our team that run home to first in 3.1 sec or less. Have lots of foot speed, now need bat speed.

What does any one suggest we work on first in the winter practices in as it relates to bat speed.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Do a search in the forum, there's been a few threads that I had found.
Also look for bat speed meter. I'm going to buy one and check the girls on our next team.
Candrea had an article in one of the threads about over/under loading.

Jul 2, 2013
You will find there are "speed" players, and "power" players.

The ones who have both are the real studs, and end up being the cream of the crop.

Find yourself some "power" players, to complement your speed players. Sure there are coaching techniques to increase bat speed, just as there are coaching techniques to run faster. In my experience the "speed" players are born with speed. The "power" players are born with great bat speed.

Sure coaching helps, but not as much as one would think. My player is a "power" player with decent speed. Have yet to see a coach teach a speed player to hit as hard as mine. Just as I have never been able to see a coach show my player how to run faster than the speed players.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Obviously the biggest struggle we had this year being new to the travel scene was bat speed.

I assume that you're saying your team struggled to make contact? If so, I wouldn't necessarily describe the problem as lack of bat speed. The most basic cause of the swing-and-miss at entry level travel is probably just timing. Without that, you can have great bat speed and still struggle to make contact. (See Adam Dunn, Dan Uggla, etc.)

The tips you've been given sound good to me. I do think that the ability to hit w/ some power if far more coachable than foot speed.

Jul 2, 2013
I do think that the ability to hit w/ some power if far more coachable than foot speed.

I can agree as most of teaching to hit is to resolve problems in technique.

Once all the problems are resolved (and there are more problems with hitting technique), it is god-given. Lifting weights is next as the top high schools, and all colleges, now do.

Most teams are looking for more speed, always. If this coach could find a few bombers, his team would be right up there. That is the beauty of softball.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Hello all again,

Obviously the biggest struggle we had this year being new to the travel scene was bat speed. We focused a lot on bunting to try and be competitive this one tournament we were in this fall, we have 6 girls on our team that run home to first in 3.1 sec or less. Have lots of foot speed, now need bat speed.

What does any one suggest we work on first in the winter practices in as it relates to bat speed.

Thanks.

One of the most under-used drills I can think of is the "over swing" drill. Having high bat speed as the goal of this drill, instead of emphasis on mechanics, have the batter swing harder—much harder—than they think they can.

Don't correct flaws when doing this drill. Just make sure they are over swinging. There is a tendency to try more to hit it than to hit it faster—make sure the over swing is the priority.

This drill works best with front toss and especially with live pitch. It should be used frequently. Many players aren't aware they can hit it harder/faster because they've never had the freedom to try it. Give them that freedom using this drill.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2010
I will never claim to be an expert, but I would suggest a lot of tee work as well. Repetition, repetition, repetition. It will build arm strength which will lead to stronger arms and greater bat speed.

Jun 1, 2013
Sure bat speed is the problem? Maybe starting swing too late? DD had a problem with this, no sense of urgency driving hips and would not hit the ball out front. All the explaining in the world would not and could.not get her to understand... About 3 practices with pitching machine on 60 solved that problem.

Aug 13, 2010
Sure bat speed is the problem? Maybe starting swing too late? DD had a problem with this, no sense of urgency driving hips and would not hit the ball out front. All the explaining in the world would not and could.not get her to understand... About 3 practices with pitching machine on 60 solved that problem.

I've been struggling with the exact issue for 3 years now. My DD can hit the cover off the ball, but she is always late on her swings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach