Illinois HS For TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought Sluggers had a thread a few years ago that stated Illinois can Play and practice with a travel team during the HS season with permission. I am not sure who the permission needed to come from.

I guess does anyone know the IL HS rule?

(DD played MS which should be the same rules and no one cares what they do. Players on DD’s Team were walking from games to practice in the same complex so it certainly wasn’t a secret to our coaches or the opposing Teams)

(Sorry about the Tilte, I can not change it.)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
These are the Illinois bylaws I found. Doesnt sound like they can practice with their travel team during the high school season. Now, you mention middle school. The interscholastic rules in AZ are very similar to Illinois. Travel ball just shuts down during the high school season, but, middle school is not bound by the same rules. Here middle school is allowed to play both club ball and school ball at the same time.

3.100 INDEPENDENT TEAM PARTICIPATION
3.101 During the school season for a given sport, in a school which maintains a school team in that sport, a student shall not
participate on any non-school team, nor as an individual unattached in non-school competition, in that given sport or in
any competition that involves the skill of the sport in question. Violation shall cause ineligibility for a period not to
exceed 365 days. An exception may be made by the Executive Director under the guidelines adopted by the Board of
Directors for competitions sanctioned directly by the National Governing Body or its official Illinois affiliate for the
sport.
—58—
3.102 Students may participate in a tryout for a non-school athletic team while a member of a high school team in the same
sport, provided the tryout is exclusively a demonstration of skills with no practice or instruction involved. A student shall
be considered to be a member of a school team when he/she engages in any team activity, including but not limited to
tryouts, drills, physical practice sessions, team meetings, playing in a contest, etc., on or after the date specified in Bylaw
5.000 and its sub-sections.
3.103 The phrase, “participate on any non-school team,” as utilized in By-law 3.101, is defined to mean engaging in any team
activity, including but not limited to, tryouts (except as defined in Section 3.102), drills, physical practice sessions, player
evaluations, team meetings, etc.
3.104 In the event a school does not maintain a team which competes during the regular high school season for a sport, but
enters one or more students into competition for the first time in that season at the beginning level of the IHSA tournament
series for the sport, the date of the beginning level contest in the IHSA series shall be the date on which the school
shall be considered to have a school team in that sport.
3.105 Students or teams at member schools shall not be permitted to participate on, practice with or compete against any college,
junior college or university athletic team. This restriction shall apply in all situations, regardless of the competitive
structure or sponsor of the competing entities for such events.
3.106 To be eligible for a school team in a given sport, students must cease non-school practice and competition in that sport
no later than seven (7) days after the date on which the school team engages in its first practice or tryout in that sport.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
They can not practice with their TB teams. In fact, many TB teams stop practicing a couple of weeks before tryouts so that there is no question about whether a player is violating the rules.

Nov 29, 2009
In Illinois if the middle school is part of the IESA they follow nearly the same rules as the IHSA. The players are not allowed to practice or play with their travel teams.

There are many middle schools who are not members of the IESA and the rules differ with each school. MS plays in the fall in Illinois. I've had players do MS ball and my team. They would miss some games and practices from time to time for school ball. I got their school schedules prior to making my fall travel schedule to tried and avoid conflicts as much as possible. The one thing that screwed it up mostly was rain make-up games.

Jun 3, 2011
IESA does not have a rule against organizing with a travel team during your MS season, but some schools adopt their own rule against doing so. IHSA does not allow you to play or practice with your travel team after the official start of the season which is posted on their calendar.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
IESA does not have a rule against organizing with a travel team during your MS season, but some schools adopt their own rule against doing so. IHSA does not allow you to play or practice with your travel team after the official start of the season which is posted on their calendar.

^^This

IESA change their policy about 2 years ago. . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan