Illegal Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The big problem with the IP is that the punishment is too harsh. I would like to see it be a ball and move on. If they call it the pitchers will adjust. If they don't they will just continue to do it.

That's why it's such an advantage when the opposing team has a pitcher throwing illegally.

If the pitcher is very hittable ... you keep quiet and tag her.

If the pitcher is semi challenging to highly challenging ... then you work the umpire and get in the pitcher's head.

In the end, the pitcher is responsible for performing the practices to correct this. Frequently I'll hear of folks whining that illegal pitches aren't called until the big tournaments. These people are basically saying that they wouldn't cheat if they were properly policed. Problem is, by the time the big tournaments come around the pitcher's cheating ways are embedded in their mechanics and the issue can't be easily corrected. Coaches that wish to win aren't going to sit silently and have their team beaten while the opposing pitcher throws illegally ... at least not at the bigger tournaments.

It all comes down to what you are working towards.

Nov 23, 2012
I feel as a coach it's my job to no the rules! Yes the pitcher and pitching coaches job to fix. TB coaches should know what's within the rules and if they don't find a new TB coach because there's probably a lot more they don't know.

To clarify if the Divot is 2" deeper than the rest of the playing surface Yes the pitcher is allowed to not actually drag as long as she isn't above the playing surface but if she's 6" from the bottom of the Divot. Anywhere in the top 4" is illegal.

At the younger age groups (10U) I understand giving more warnings but at 14U and above rule enforcement needs to be more consistent.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At the younger age groups (10U) I understand giving more warnings but at 14U and above rule enforcement needs to be more consistent.

Considering the number of illegal pitches that are not being called at the collegiate level, expecting umpires to be more consistent enforcing the rules at 14U is laughable....

Aug 21, 2008
I'm just curious if people pay 1/2 as much attention to slappers running out of the box, runner's leaving early, etc. Yes, I know i'm biased but really... do you look at those things? They are just as cheated as pitching is! Watch Team USA this year... the slappers kick out the front of the box, the power hitters kick out the back of the box to go as far back as they can (just as we do in men's fastpitch)... is pitching offenses more of a crime?

The world's best pitching coach is only as good as much as the student will practice. For many of us, we live in cold weather places and that is a different form of pitching (in a gym) than outdoor pitching. It creates more "issues" than working outdoors on a real field. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. A pitcher trying to gain power from a flat gym floor (even the mats don't simulate outdoor conditions). This is, in my opinion, a HUGE reason pitchers develop illegal problems. What's the hitters excuses?

Bill

Nov 23, 2012
I agree Umps are just as inconsistent with hitters and base running. With young slappers it's usually there timing being off from different pitching speeds. At higher levels there just playing outside the rules until there caught to get an advantage.
They'll call Obstruction all day on 1st, 2nd & 3rd but a catcher setting up in base line without the ball is rarely if ever called.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
The world's best pitching coach is only as good as much as the student will practice. For many of us, we live in cold weather places and that is a different form of pitching (in a gym) than outdoor pitching. It creates more "issues" than working outdoors on a real field. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. A pitcher trying to gain power from a flat gym floor (even the mats don't simulate outdoor conditions). This is, in my opinion, a HUGE reason pitchers develop illegal problems. What's the hitters excuses?

I watched this happen to my DD. At home and at PCs place she pitches on a flat surface. This has caused her to slide her foot off of the front of the mound as she drives. Just a bad habit. I have noticed that the umps do call IP more since we have moved to 16u. Once my DD has her flaw pointed out she can correct it without any drop in performance.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I watched this happen to my DD. At home and at PCs place she pitches on a flat surface. This has caused her to slide her foot off of the front of the mound as she drives. Just a bad habit. I have noticed that the umps do call IP more since we have moved to 16u. Once my DD has her flaw pointed out she can correct it without any drop in performance.

A true DFP aficionado would get some 1" x 6" boards and build an indoor 4'x8' "planter box" complete with mound clay that could be used to simulate an outdoor pitching rubber.....your wife will love it, trust me!
Mound clay.jpg

Jul 25, 2015
I'm just curious if people pay 1/2 as much attention to slappers running out of the box, runner's leaving early, etc. Yes, I know i'm biased but really... do you look at those things? They are just as cheated as pitching is! Watch Team USA this year... the slappers kick out the front of the box, the power hitters kick out the back of the box to go as far back as they can (just as we do in men's fastpitch)... is pitching offenses more of a crime?

Bill

I pay attention to it, but I also coached for years... There is no excuse for any of it and the excuses you offered for pitchers are no more valid than excuses for slappers/hitters... Rules are rules and they should be applied equally and consistently... Unfortunately, there is a human element involved, so mistakes will be made... However, while ignoring the rules may seem small it actually is detrimental to pitchers over time more than anyone else... Depending on which umpire you draw, it will eventually come back to bite you if your pitcher is not pitching within the rules and you usually draw the ump that is going to call it the deeper you go in a tournament...

I always loved the "she is garnering no competitive advantage" argument from an ump...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloie