Illegal Pitch Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 8, 2015
Faced a pitcher in a tournament recently. I questioned the umpire because the pitcher passed her hip 5 times after separating her hands. This is how the delivery went:

1) pitcher holds ball in glove in front.
2) hands separate and both arms swing back to 3:00 position (pass 1 - reversal).
3) both hands swing all the way to 12:00 where ball goes inside glove. (pass 2 - forward).
4) hands separate again and swing back down to 3:00 position (pass 3 - reversal).
5) hands now upswing (pass 4 - forward) and all the way around for downswing/release (pass 5).

is this legal?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
No, but not because of the number of times past her hip.

Assuming that this whole process started while the pitcher was in position on the pitcher's plate, in step three, the pitcher has brought her hands together a second time. This is where the pitch becomes illegal

Jul 8, 2015
found a youtube video from newspaper article of the pitcher. would this be against policy to post the link?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I hear this a lot. Is this some dinosaur from a rules set many years ago?
The term presentation seems to just hang around.....

Really?.... I would have lost a bet then. This one gets enforced around my parts.
Step onto the rubber with hands apart to show possession of the ball. (This is enforced as the presentation) I just thought it was an old grandfathered rule that stemmed from baseball. I picture in my mind the pitcher on the mound holding a rosin bag as if it were the ball, when the runner leads off first, the 1B tags him out....

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd was called for stepping to the rubber with hands together last tourney. She stepped to the rubber hands together then separated into her backswing and pitch, she normally steps to rubber hands not together then brings them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan