Illegal Pitch Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Posted this in the pitching forum, but thought it might get answered here.

12U Game, runner on third two outs. Our pitcher starts her motion and for some reason stops her delivery and starts over. Umps call IP, and calls the ball but doesn't reward the runner on third home. Pitcher throws the next pitch for a strike and the base ump stops the play after the next pitch and awards the runner home due to the earlier IP. The question is, is there a time when they can't go back and correct the wrong call? What would have happened if the batter had swung and made the third out? This is in a semi-final game of a tourney. It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but what is the correct way to handle this situation in the future, besides getting the call right the first time. The umpire, when questioned after the game, said that it was a "correctable" situation and not an "appeal" situation. The difference being that the correctable situation is done when they were aware of the wrong call. If it was an appeal situation, the appeal period would have been over after the next pitch.

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I posted an answer in the pitching forum prior to seeing your question here. I will copy it here as well:

You're not going to find anything specific in the rules about this situation. It's not an appeal play as defined in the book. On an appeal play, there is a definite time limit in which the appeal can be made, ie before the next pitch, defense leaving the field, etc.

For this particular play, yes the umpires blew it by not enforcing the correct penalty when the rule was violated, but to correct it after the next pitch when nothing had changed is fine. The crew probably should have called both coaches out and explained what they were going to do to correct the error. If the next pitch had been thrown and the situation changed, like the batter striking out or putting the ball in play, etc., I would say at that point it is too late to correct the error and you live with the screwup.

I posted an answer in the pitching forum prior to seeing your question here. I will copy it here as well:

You're not going to find anything specific in the rules about this situation. It's not an appeal play as defined in the book. On an appeal play, there is a definite time limit in which the appeal can be made, ie before the next pitch, defense leaving the field, etc.

For this particular play, yes the umpires blew it by not enforcing the correct penalty when the rule was violated, but to correct it after the next pitch when nothing had changed is fine. The crew probably should have called both coaches out and explained what they were going to do to correct the error. If the next pitch had been thrown and the situation changed, like the batter striking out or putting the ball in play, etc., I would say at that point it is too late to correct the error and you live with the screwup.

While in this given scenario we can all see there was no big impact, it sets a VERY bad precedent and the next time there is a significant play then they decide the previous call was incorrect, but don't intervene, nobody will understand why the rulings were not consistent, again it is hard to argue since the right decision was made but it does give me a very uneasy feeling.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I need to retract my previous answer...

It has been pointed out to me that ASA rule 10-3-C does allow an umpire to reverse an erroneous call that places a player in jeopardy, but it must be done prior to the next pitch being thrown. In the OP, since a pitch had been thrown after the erroneous call, it is too late to award that base.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish