If you heard this at a game, what would you do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Sunday fall-ball league, 16U. ASA rules, ASA certified umpires.

Equipment check prior to the game, umpires pull 2 bats for "rattles".

At the plate talk, the very visibly upset head coach says something to the affect of, "I am a nationally known head coach, you're just a local umpire. You don't know what you are doing, you can't pull those bats". The bats stayed pulled.

This was verified by numerous people, including the opposing coaches who were at the plate talk.

Interested to hear some responses, both from the parent standpoint as well as opposing coach or even an umpire's point of view.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My response as coach of either team or as a parent would have been, "OK. Let's play ball."

This is a non-issue...perhaps the umpire made a mistake, but so?

Teams play in the rain, scorching heat, snow, and fog. The fields are sometimes swamps, with a two foot deep rut in front of the pitching rubber. Sometimes the batter's right foot is six inches below the plate. Sometimes the batters box looks like it was lined by someone who finished a fifth of gin. Sometimes umpires are 14YOA kids, while sometimes the umpires are Methuselah's older brothers.

But, so what? You play the game based upon the current circumstances as well as you can.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Depending on the kind of mood I was in, I might have then told Mr. Nationally Recognized Coach that he could view the proceedings from the parking lot.

And I love the "This is a non-issue" that immediately goes into "perhaps the umpire made a mistake"...why not add "or perhaps the coach needs to make sure his team's equipment is legal"?

Amusing either way, I guess.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As long as he is not yelling at the ump and blowing it way out of proportion sounds like it would be really amusing.

Good plan, insult the ump before the game even starts why wait.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here are some suggested responses for blue.

a) I haven't thrown a nationally known coach out of a ball game before, but you could have the added distinction of being my first.
b) Since you're a nationally known coach, I'm sure your hitters have been taught well and won't have any problem using Walmart specials.
c) No problem coach, you can use your bats, but to address safety concerns, I'll have to make your girls' strike zones so big that they won't be able to reach the ball.
d) Oh, so you're the dude they were talking about on Hey Bucket.
e) What's a nationally known coach doing slumming about these parts, looking for a trophy?

FWIW, if there's a question about bat integrity, it should be gone. P E R I D.

Jun 22, 2008
Well Mr. Nationally known head coach, then you should be aware of ASA rule 3-1-A. The offical bat, made of of the knob, handle, grip, taper, barrel and end cap shall be free fo burs, dents, cracks, sharp edges and audible rattles and show no signs of excessive wear.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
First, I would congratulate the umpire for being on top of things with his equipment check. ASA rules specifically prohibit bats which rattle. These are illegal bats- that isn't even a questionable issue.

I would have no problem with an umpire ejecting this coach on the spot for those comments. "You don't know what you're doing", especially when you're doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, can easily be construed as an unsportsmanlike comment.

Personally, my fuse is usually just a little bit longer than that. If a coach said this to me, I would inform him of the rule and my ruling and tell him that he can either file an official protest or drop it. What he does after that is up to him- and he's already on thin ice.

Jan 18, 2011
As opposing head coach I would say, "Good call Blue, let's play." then smile and walk away to get my team ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball