I think I may have lost my mind

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
We are from Georgia, and lived in south Florida for a period of time. We do not like cold weather. However, DD got one of those emails that says

Hi I'm coach ____________ from __________. I'll be at this camp in Pennsylvania. I hope to see you there.

DD is a sophomore and the email is from a D3 coach and it was fairly transparent. The camp will put a DD in front of several coaches on her list and the potential to see up to 3 more coaches of schools of interest during the trip. I said we should go (as a joke), but DD and her friend who plays D2 softball in the area started running with the idea, and the friend is giving us a place to stay. DH had the frequent flyer miles to get us there. I only have to pay the camp fees, rental car fees, and food.

I can't believe I'm going to PA in January. At least DD will get a taste of what winter is like, should she decide to pursue opportunities at these schools. I'll get to visit with friends we rarely see. I'm still pretty sure I've lost my mind, but at least I'm losing it for DD's love of the game.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I went to college in PA, in the Philly suburbs. I went to HS in Arkansas, and was not used to the weather. My first two years at college were 2 of the worst winters in Philadelphia history. I hated it so much I ran off to Hawaii for a year.

Now I live in Wisconsin. I have a completely different definition of winter.

Going to the NE is an interesting cultural experience. Some people like it, others do not. I once ran across a fellow from Georgia in Philadelphia. He told me he had lived there a year, said "Hi" to everyone he saw on the street, and I was the first one who said "Hi" back to him.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
I anticipate that DD will still want to attend college in FL after this trip. Academically, the schools we will visit while in PA should be at the top of her list. At least she will be able to narrow choices with more first hand information.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Some kids really like he urban schools. DD1 goes to NYU and is currently in London for a semester and loves it. DD2 had no interest in any school in NY. In fact the more rural the school the more she seemed to like it. Bucknell was number 1 on her list including IVYs so far.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD believes that she wants urban. We live in a rural area now. However, she admits that the "feel" of the school is more important than location. She is not a kid that wants to be on ESPN, nor is she the level of this D1 top 25 schools. She is looking for education first, that gives her a chance to play softball while getting that education. Softball is opening her up to schools she didn't know existed before.

Oct 10, 2011
I went to college in PA, in the Philly suburbs. I went to HS in Arkansas, and was not used to the weather. My first two years at college were 2 of the worst winters in Philadelphia history. I hated it so much I ran off to Hawaii for a year.

Now I live in Wisconsin. I have a completely different definition of winter.

Going to the NE is an interesting cultural experience. Some people like it, others do not. I once ran across a fellow from Georgia in Philadelphia. He told me he had lived there a year, said "Hi" to everyone he saw on the street, and I was the first one who said "Hi" back to him.
I think if you could exclude Philly from the rest of the state, it would be some of the friendliest people in the country:)

Dec 19, 2012
Philly's like Mayberry compared to other cities on the east coast iM..........plus they have awesome cheesesteaks! My favorites are Jim's and Shank's. One Provolone with please..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207