I/R- Rollover drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2013
I am fairly new to the I/R method. I want to buy into but have some questions. Isnt it really just a rollover drop? Thats the way my daughter was taught to throw that pitch. Also, How will I/R work with other pitches? Last of all, if my daughter has good arm whip, won't that work? She is 11yo and throws 50-52mph consistently. I hate to start changing things. Your hinput is appreciated.

Nov 29, 2009
Post a video of her and the people on the board can comment and make suggestions. Be sure to try and get a front, side and back view of her.

Jul 14, 2008
I am fairly new to the I/R method. I want to buy into but have some questions. Isnt it really just a rollover drop?

Absolutely not.........In fact, with optimal mechanics and velocity, the ball will be rotating more like this from the pitchers prospective:

2daazw6.gif

This is a pure I/R fastball.........See any "roll over drop" on this pitch?

34xfdx1.gif

Or this one?

30bcodz.gif

Thats the way my daughter was taught to throw that pitch.

If your DD throws her drop like like this then you don't need to "change" anything. This is an I/R drop:

hskq2v.gif

Also, How will I/R work with other pitches? Last of all, if my daughter has good arm whip, won't that work? She is 11yo and throws 50-52mph consistently. I hate to start changing things. Your input is appreciated.

If your DD has "good arm whip" what includes the elbow leading down the back side, and the hand under the ball......Resulting in arm rotation from facing backwards to facing inwards........Then she is on the right path..........

If her hand is on top of the ball down the backside (not including change up)........And is PUSHING it down the back side.......Then you may want to further your investigation of CORRECT mechanics.........

If you're idea of "good arm whip" is about arm rotation from external to internal.........And not about "circle speed and elbow bend" through release......Then you're DD my likely be throwing correctly in the first place.........

Video will confirm this for you if you can't see it clearly for yourself.........

Good for you for looking deeper into something your DD is passionate about..........

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I can vouch for what BoardMember said, particularly with that spinning gear clip. We make a stripe on some of our pitching balls and all three of my pitchers get that gear rotation with their fastball (really a drop ball). What I like about the stripe (electrician tape) is that the pitcher can instantly see what the rotation is.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I/R generally describes the rotation of a limb relative to the rest of the body. I/R can be used to efficiently maximize speed, create a spin or even slow the ball down for a change up. How and when I/R is utilized in a sequence makes any of these possible. I/R occurs in both the upper and lower arm. I/R in the upper arm is about the same (as far as I can tell) in every pitch/spin. I/R in the lower arm/wrist/hand varies from spin to spin.

For a basic fastball, using I/R to maximize whip looks like this: Elbow loosely flexed and leading the circle with the palm up at about 9 o’clock. The elbow pauses at the side and the lower arm whips through release and I/R’s from palm up to palm down after release. Early on, the ball is released by the thumb when the palm is more-or-less facing out, which often results in a somewhat spiral rotaion. This combination of I/R and whip is the most efficient way to get speed.

For a rollover, I/R of the hand takes place earlier to get the 12/6 spin.

In a flip change, it happens even earlier and robs speed from the ball by releasing the ball out of sequence and by taking away the transfer of energy from the tip of the whip (finger tips) to the ball.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
OK - I was discussing this a bit this morning already so I am "in this space" mentally - otherwise I intentionally stay pretty quiet on the IR topic.

BM - So you are saying that Ueno's video is an IR fastball and the Osterman one is in fact an IR drop?

Distinguished by?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
BoardMember, would you say that Ueno's spin to the right pitch breaks in just a little and down on a RH batter and Cat's forward spin simply breaks down?

I think this fingers-stay-inside-the-ball in the I/R pitching is a byproduct of using forearm whip, and that both are what generate maximum velocity.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
BM -
Sorry for this maybe frustrating-for-you question but can you define IR again in the fewest sentences possible?
OR maybe better asked:
maybe just a list of what visual queues in the motion constitute a pitch that falls squarely into IR.

I am having a mental block on distinguishing the IR "brand".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw