I never realized how much time softball actually takes up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
I am just trying to figure out how important a landscaped yard is to a buyer. The yard is large, has a huge deck, but it is February and we live in Oregon where it is wet.

My husband works and goes to school full time so it is just me trying to get the house ready to sell, get kids to practices, lessons, and clinics. House looks much better, just need to shampoo the carpets...but I am done lol.

Can't wait for games to start and just have the house sold :)

Apr 11, 2012
LOL....I'm just now getting my house back to "pre-softball years" status.....got my lawn back in "tip-top" shape and just put in 17 new windows, 2 patio doors and carpet in the whole house and repainted 3 of bedrooms.....re-finishing the deck is next this spring and need to put in some landscaping then I'm done....I was pretty stressed out about being so far behind with my house maintenance. Thank goodness for softball scholarships....!!!!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Part of it depends, of course, on how well your team does at tournaments. If you're one and done on Sunday morning there's plenty of time to get some yardwork done (if the tournament is local). At least mow the grass. If you're hanging around 'til the end of the day you'd best hope for a nice evening on Monday (assuming your team gives the kids the night off to recover).

Somehow our lawn got cut in those days. Not exactly sure how, but I managed somehow. And that was with four kids, a couple of whom were playing multiple sports. We weren't the prettiest house on the block by any means but did enough to keep the police from coming around with a ticket.

Nowadays, between not coaching a team and working out of my house I have plenty of time for the yard. Never looked better (although that's admittedly a pretty low bar). Would still trade the nice yard to see my kids play again, though.

Jan 31, 2011
My youngest, 13YO now, commented to me the other day that our neighbors must really hate us because we are always up and in the car (making noise too) before the sun is up almost every weekend. Between 3 daughters playing year-round multiple club sports, she is probably right. Yep, the yard looks bad most of the time and I have put off home improvement projects that weigh on me, but in a few years it will all be over and I can get back to that stuff then. I am sure we all can relate to each others position. We have different priorities than our neighbors. Sometimes, I won't lie, I'm a bit envious of those parents that get every weekend to do what they want. But, the memories & the time we share with our kids far out weigh getting to nap on a Saturday afternoon in the summer! lol

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have been that house as well. As a coach/administrator for a travel ball team for the past 4 years, most of my free time has been spent coaching, organizing fund raisers, handling registration, uniform orders, clothing orders, buying gear (balls, bags, helmets, etc.) for the team, designing practices for pitching, fielding, running, hitting, etc., etc. Now that DD has switched teams, my only responsibilities are being her #1 fan, and continuing my hitting addiction. I already find myself with more time than I had imagined. I really didn't realize how much I was missing by being so involved in the other "team related" responsibilities. I don't regret any of it, but I am perfectly happy in my current role. And I am starting to catch up with the house work. Life is good!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am just trying to figure out how important a landscaped yard is to a buyer. The yard is large, has a huge deck, but it is February and we live in Oregon where it is wet.

My husband works and goes to school full time so it is just me trying to get the house ready to sell, get kids to practices, lessons, and clinics. House looks much better, just need to shampoo the carpets...but I am done lol.

Can't wait for games to start and just have the house sold :)

As a Realtor I can tell you that landscaping is important in that it is a call to action. Buyers like a clean neat looking yard. It doesn't have to be magazine beautiful, but curb appeal is important. I might not affect your asking price, but it will affect how quickly you sell. Don't worry about the fact that you didn't plant trees 20 years ago and there are no established shrubs. Just clean it up the best you can and put out something that has some color in it for the time you will have it on the market.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
As a Realtor I can tell you that landscaping is important in that it is a call to action. Buyers like a clean neat looking yard. It doesn't have to be magazine beautiful, but curb appeal is important. I might not affect your asking price, but it will affect how quickly you sell. Don't worry about the fact that you didn't plant trees 20 years ago and there are no established shrubs. Just clean it up the best you can and put out something that has some color in it for the time you will have it on the market.

Something interesting -- one time our next door neighbors were selling their home. We had a lot of tulips on that side of our house, and tulips were in bloom. The new buyers were wavering, walked down the stairs and saw the tulips facing them, and the sale was made. Not as nice the other 11 months of the year, but it shows how landscaping can affect not only your property, but your neighbors as well.

Jun 12, 2015
We'll definitely fix up our yard whenever we decide to sell our house. It definitely does affect how quickly it will sell.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I'm starting to feel the squeeze now. I have 15 acres and mow 7 it's about 5hrs on the tractor to get it done. We have set aside a cleaning day so we can stay caught up with the inside. Keeping a running schedule and constantly updating my punch list doesn't have me to far behind. It's just the no sleep that kills me. I find myself putting off sleep all the time. Finding out that I actually function pretty well off 5hrs a day that's sometimes if I'm lucky. What the heck though can't replace this time with DD for anything. I sure am going to miss my hot rod and boat. Just can't see me spending much time in or on either this summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi