I need a quick pitching lane clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Ok, so I understand the whole ....both feet must start within the 24" pitching plate. Here is where I'm a bit confused....during the delivery, the pitcher shall take exactly one forward step toward home plate and land within or partially within the 24" length of the pitchers plate....USSSA.

So, can the front foot land outside of the 24" inch width of the pitchers plate as long as one portion....ie "partial" as referenced above stays within the 24inch width, OR does the entire front foot need to be within the 24"inch width of the pitchers plate.

It seems clear that a portion can be outside of the 24" width as long as a portion of that foot is within.

Ok sorry for the dumb question!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Those are invisible lines. Therefore, it is in the umpires discretion whether the rule has been violated or not.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Yes they are invisible lines but sometimes a home team will lane the circle. I for one prep our home field for games. I look over the books and notes from previous games against the same team, if my notes say the pitcher(s) seem to have a wide stance....well I help the ump out with some lines. Both feet must start with in the 24" and end with in the 24" (but not completely). My daughter will line up far left on rubber and end up even further left with an outside pitch to a righty. She also like lining up left to stay out of any drag holes created by other pitcher.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Both feet must start with in the 24" and end with in the 24" (.

That is not correct. The pitching regulations only apply to the pitcher DURING THE PITCH. Once the ball is released the pitch is over and the delivery is in progress. As long as the stride foot comes down between those lines, the ball is then released for delivery, the pivot foot can come down wherever the pitcher wants. The pitch is over at ball release and no other regulations apply to the pitcher, they are simply a fielder.

That is the same for ALL rulebooks.

It must be noted, however, that the league or tournament director OR the UIC of the league or turney has the authority to add, delete or amend any rule/s in the rulebook at their discretion.

The rulebooks are only guidelines.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
The lane lines are only used in NCAA, and even then they only last about 1/2 inning. They are not regulation for any other association and putting them on the field would be contrary to any of their published field diagrams.

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
Hal are you saying pitchers release the ball with their front foot still in the air? It's been my experience that most pitchers land with the front foot before delivering the ball.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Hal are you saying pitchers release the ball with their front foot still in the air? It's been my experience that most pitchers land with the front foot before delivering the ball.

No, he's not. The original quote said BOTH feet must be within the 24". Hal clarified and said both feet must start within the lines and the stride foot (NP per NFHS book) must end within the lines. The pivot foot can end anywhere.

Also note that you can start with either foot partially within the lines and partially outside of the lines and it is a legal pitch according to the NFHS rulebook.

Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate.

NFHS Foot placement.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan