I need a map

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2012
After reading so many different posts, I realize there are quite a few of you that gladly share your softball wisdom with those of us that need it.
I am coaching for my first time this year. I have 2 dds on the team, 8 & 5. 6U is not an option in UT, but the league we're in lets you start them at 5. Some girls are playing their 4th year and for some it's the first. They are all 8U.
I have played softball for more than 25 years, although since I became "Mom" it's just slow pitch. At least I'm out on the dirt.:D I lived 'travel ball" when I was younger. I have yet to read a drill that at one time or another I haven't done. I get hip coil, bat drag... you know the fun stuff.
So my question is, What's the trick???

A) How do I organize(remember) my ideas, info and everything else?

B) From that, how do I keep it simple?

I am afraid I will overwhelm the girls, and cause only scrambled eggs. I am finding I absolutely love coaching. I need a little direction. I know I have a lot to offer and share, but I know I can be doing better.

Any input or key points you have to offer up will be so much appreciated!!!

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
1st priority is to make them want to come back next year. Keep it simple and make it fun. Keep in perspective that their young bodies may not be physically mature enough to do some of the things you'd love to teach them. Try to always end your practices with something fun yet skill developing. It gives them something to look forward to. Making a little competion out of something always makes it more fun.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Girl,

What an awesome first post! I've coached (as a dad, not a "pro") for probably 15 years, one DD done and another at 14U. I wish I knew then what I know now! But also have had a blast the whole way just trying to be myself and coaching each girl like she was my DD.

My best advice is to

1) just do it, with passion and having fun. girls will be drawn to that.

2) start slowly and teach proper mechanics from day 1 rather than focusing on playing or even winning games when they are young. too many DADs think early sports are about competition. I think they are about learning how to learn new skills while having fun. this doesn't have to be "boring" -- there are a million games you can play (with prizes!) to teach girls, for instance, to throw properly. in a lot of ways those types of games will be much more fun for young girls than playing a full game, which CAN be boring, lot of standing around, etc.

3) keep at it. if you are in a rec league, see if you can also start a small fall ball program, or winter clinics etc. try to raise standards in your town/org and with your girls/parents. show young girls better players, at the local high school, college, pro league etc. let them get autographs if you can, get them excited

4) keep going. some people will complain. some organizations/leagues will put up roadblocks. keep going and have fun. as your girls get older, give back to younger coaches. there's nothing more fun if you truly love coaching than building a program and making it more than just all about your DDs.

Good luck.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I make a lesson plan. 6PM - encourage girls to get on the field, tie hair back, etc. 6:05 warm up running to the OF fence and back. 6:07 give everyone a ball. Explain 4 seam grip. Go over overhand throw. Spread them out and throw to the fence. Determine partners, so that they can throw to each other. Warm up throwing to a partner. 6:15 explain fielding ground balls. Have someone demonstrate. 6:20 roll balls to 2 lines of fielders.

Remember to include water breaks.

I always note a few extra drills, than I think I might need. Then, when a girl misses a practice, and the parent asks if they missed anything, you can give them a handout. Good luck and keep asking questions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At this age, skills development is #1

- Have a practice plan. I always have more in the plan than I have time for so I never run out of things to do
- Have help.You are the head coach but you need assistants (even parents) to help run multiple drills at the same time.
- Don't try and cram too much in to every practice. Take your time and move on only when you are happy they are making progress. Work with individuals as needed.
- More than one thing at once - skill stations everyone revolves through.
- Have a 'experienced group' and a 'developing group' when needed.
- Last 15 minutes of practice - FUN activity - some game of some sort they can all play
- THROWING technique is critical and the effect of good and bad teaching here can last for years. CATCHING is right after that. Use tennis balls for new players. Build the skill from the ground up.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Please, teach them to throw like an athlete.I would spend alot of time on this skill in the beginning. Encourage the moms and dads to work with their DD's at home on there own.Start with a smaller ball at first then work their way up to a bigger ball.Like Amy in AZ. suggested give them handouts on how you will teach a certain skill.So they can work on this at home.Enjoy!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Everyone here will give you good advice and believe me, you will get lots of it if you ask;) I remember being a first year HC way back when...lol. The best thing that I learned from the experience was to get organized. First, go into each practice with a practice plan as Amy said. The day before, set out what you want to work on. This includes step-by-step instruction and ideas as well as games/drills to reinforce what you are teaching. By writing everything down beforehand step-by-step, you can simplify it further. If you get another idea while doing this, jot it down and use it as the next drill or in the next practice plan.

Feb 3, 2011
As for organization, you should have a practice plan every time out. You may not get to everything every time, but that's fine.

Keep a 3-ring binder. Make notes on each player, as needed. Put in your practice plans so you can see a visual record of your team's progression.

With the wide range of skill and experience levels, my suggestion is to spend a fair amount of each practice with the girls separated by age and/or level. For example, if you've got 6 girls who know how to play catch, and 6 who are brand new, then have the other girls work on catching fly balls while the others are learning how to throw. I generally have mine separated for about 1/3 of the practice session.

You've played ball all your life so you probably know this already, but a lot of coaches have told me it's much easier to teach a 5-year-old to throw than it is to teach a 9-year-old who has been doing it all wrong for years. So whatever you do, please please please make sure they all know how to throw overhand before your season is finished.

Lastly, engage your parents and give them a mini-clinic on how to work with their DDs at home. I cannot stress enough the importance of this, because if girls really want to enjoy this game, they've got to know how to throw and they're only going to develop this all-important skill if they're getting hundreds of proper reps outside of practice.

I can tell already that your team is in great hands. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Lastly, engage your parents and give them a mini-clinic on how to work with their DDs at home. I cannot stress enough the importance of this, because if girls really want to enjoy this game, they've got to know how to throw and they're only going to develop this all-important skill if they're getting hundreds of proper reps outside of practice.
What Momo'sDad said is important the players that improve the most and the fastest are the players whose parents work with them at home.Coach can only do so much at practice in the 1-2 hrs they may have the players.Parents have them for the rest of the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan