I literally turned a win into a loss fior my team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
long story short- kids played hard, were doing well but pitching imploded. allowing the other team to come back from a 6 run deficit. game was tied 10 - 10 when we had reached the time limit of when we could start a new inning.

I knew the (hitless) bottom of my order was coming up but for some reason I allowed the game to continue for one more inning. We went down without scoring another run and it didn't take long for the other team to get a runner on base and home, ending the game.

I could have taken the tie and our team would have walked away without having lost. they had played too well to lose that game- it was all coach error. I didn't realize my team was toast and should have said as much when asked if I was ready to call it at a tie.

they say a tie is like kissing your sister - well losing a game like this was like a sucker punch to the gut that doesn't go away. I couldn't sleep. I have no idea what i was thinking. also the people who say that are pot-bellied, seen-better-days adult males, not 12 y.o. girls.

just saying- don't lose touch with your team. perhaps if I had opened my eyes and listened a little better, 13 families would be feeling a lot better this morning.

Oct 25, 2009
In softball it's better to lose than to tie. Ending with a tie would have been giving up! You gave the kids a chance to win!

Tie games should be outlawed. A tie game means both teams lost!

May 23, 2012
Obbay, as long as your team gave everything they could and left everything on the field, they are winners. A win/loss is just a statistic. Yes, winning is great and we love to win too - but it isn't everything. Maybe at your next practice sit all your players down and tell them how proud you are of them for not giving up and continuing to play hard.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD team usually learns more from a lose than a win! Winning makes all of the errors and bad decisions go away, losing making you think about it and work harder to make sure it does not happen again!

Jun 18, 2010
Get over it. I'm sure your kids have.

Easier said than done. Obbay obviously cares and feels he let the girls and parents down. I have had the same restless nights many times after a tough loss. Sure its a game, but I am sure Obbay wanted the win or tie more for his team than for himself. We had an arch rival in our league that had beat us for three straight years. The last lost that we had to them was one in which they came back from three runs down to win in the bottom of the last inning with my DD pitching so I know how you feel and sympathize.

Try to learn from the situation and focus on the positives. Don't let the highs get to high and the lows get too low.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
thanks good responses.
I thought it was the right thing to do at the time even though I felt everyone around me wanted to stick with the tie.

I find losses educational too. It would be good to see what the team got from it.
Sure its a game, but I am sure Obbay wanted the win or tie more for his team than for himself. We had an arch rival in our league that had beat us for three straight years.

you hit the nail on the head. they put everything they had into that game and walked away with a loss to their trash-talking rivals. they were happy until they took the field that last time...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Not sure you really did anything wrong in this instance, but keep in mind coaches make errors once in a while too, You play so many games eventually even the best will make a mistake. How you handle it after the fact defines you as a competitor, chin up, learn from it, move on.

Jun 22, 2010
So instead of manipulating the rules (what rules allow the coaches to decide to play another inning, anyway?) to come away with a "not-a-loss," you decided to allow your kids to play some more softball, giving them the chance to earn a victory on the field and/or learn how to fight their way back from adversity?

Yeah, seriously, dude, cut that out. :)

IMO you did a great thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom