HS Softball Started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
On Long Island, we get a max of 19 regular season league or non-league games scheduled by our local section, depending on the school size. Coaches can schedule other NL games and scrimmages, but not everyone does. We then go to double elimination playoffs. We will be done with the regular season by May 9th, and the playoffs for the county will be done a week or so later. Then, if you're lucky, you go to the LI Championship, followed by the States. Our season will be done by May 15th.

Considering how few schools have decent pitching, even 18 games in 50 days is a stretch.

Here in Texas, I believe the max regular season games is 30 (in and out of district) but there is not limit to HS tourneys they are not part of the total.

One of the issues I see is zealous coaches set up schedules and don't have the pitching staff to support them. I have seen overworked ace pitchers get hurt and several HS SS that have to draw on their 10u rec experience to get thru games.

Nov 9, 2021
In Florida we can only schedule 25 regular season games. The 50 you can do in Texas seems like a lot. If I had more pitching I wouldn’t mind somewhere around 30-35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 12, 2014
My DD's tryouts start today. It's a struggle to get enough girls to field a Varsity and JV team. Her school has roughly 2000 students (9-12), so I'm always amazed the lack of girls trying out. Her school is a powerhouse in soccer, football, girls basketball, and most sports actually.... except softball sadly.

There's a HS here with about 3,800 students and they get 25 out for softball. They have a ton of other sports obviously, and they get huge turnouts.

Feb 1, 2022
There's a HS here with about 3,800 students and they get 25 out for softball. They have a ton of other sports obviously, and they get huge turnouts.

We have about 1250 students in my DD's high school. Probably get about 25-30 that try out for softball. Unfortunately of those 25-30, only about 5 or 6 play travel ball.

Sep 19, 2018
We have upwards of 2800 students. We are pulling up girls from middle school to fill out JV. We had several very talented players decide to play other sports this spring (including newly added Touch Football).

Aug 5, 2022
We started this week in Indiana. I think we can schedule 28 games. We have 25 on the schedule so if any of the schools want a game. We have a beautiful turf complex …contact Brian Murphy New Palestine High School athletic director. We have played Marist in the past, Louisville Male, Munster, Crown Point, Lake Central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
We have upwards of 2800 students. We are pulling up girls from middle school to fill out JV. We had several very talented players decide to play other sports this spring (including newly added Touch Football).
Our HS is somewhere around 2300-2400 students and we seem to consistently get about 30 girls to come try out, usually enough for a full Varsity and JV roster. I think all the girls on Varsity are playing or have played travel ball at some level, several at the regional and even national level. We won the Class 6 (largest schools by population) state championship in VA last year. Most of that team is back this year, so it will be interesting to see whether we can repeat. Had a lot of balls fall our way to do it last season. We won a number of close games that could have gone either way, including the championship game, 2-1.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, our illustrious coach had her first offseason workout in the HS gym last night. It's the only offseason workout before tryouts start on Monday. Oh, and there are no cuts...

My daughter said there were 14 girls there, including one 8th grader and a 9th grader who has never played above Little League. The 8th-grade girl is good enough to start, so she will replace one of the two seniors we graduated last June. It would be a very rough season if not for the state of the other teams in the league.

We are a high school of about 700 students. Did I mention that girls' lacrosse had 48 girls show up for workouts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles