HS Practice before TB practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
So far TB weekend practices are on separate days. Getting to the mid-week hitting session is a sprint, but it's not like doing two practices in the same day.

HS coach allows practices but no games, most TB teams have one practice a week they call a "clinic" to get around restrictions.
I'm told some districts/leagues look the other way and let their kids play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Here is how that works. The state governing body doesn't "police" the rules, they wait until a complaint has been filed and THEN investigate.

I knew of a couple of girls who did play independent, a violation. But they were in a lower classification than ours, so it had no bearing on our season. So why report it?

I also knew a couple of girls who violated the rules, a HS coach knew about it and "sat" on the information until the outcome of the game when they met. Meaning if the team did beat them, he could come forward with the proof they were in violation and get the loss overturned. If his team won, no harm no need to come forward and stir the water.

Long story short, softball is a small world, locally ( stately ) everyone knows everyone. You may think you're getting away with it, all it takes is a short video from a phone of Sally playing and it's documented...........if needed.

Nov 27, 2010
I don't believe MN has a rule against it, but many coaches do. We try to only have one TB practice a week during the 5-day-a-week HS softball season (which for us is only about 9-10 weeks long). I like getting them together just to stay involved with the team and find out what the different HS coaches are messing with. Luckily my DDs PC is also one of her HS coaches, so I know what she'll be working on.

We did hold double practices a few years ago when my DD was one of two 7th grades on the 12U TB team playing HS ball. I think not practicing for 2 months when there was 9 others on the team that were not in HS ball would have made for a very poor start to our season. But it was a lot for kid to handle.

Jun 18, 2010
I think that some are incorrectly interpreting the rules of your state association. I find it hard to believe that it would even be possible to keep a player from practicing with a TB team during HS season. However, many associations do have limitations on how many HS team members can attend such a practice. And often the HS coach has restrictions on who and when they may coach. If your state really does infringe on your DD's love of the game, my condolences. Yet another instance of a nanny state.

3.13.2 Organized Non-School Competition: Athletic competition shall be considered “organized” if any of the following conditions exist: Competition is scheduled and publicized in advance, official score is kept, individual or team standings are maintained, official timer or game officials are used, admission is charged, teams are regularly formed or team rosters are predetermined, team members are dressed in team uniforms or a team is privately or commercially-sponsored. Further, competition which is either directly or indirectly sponsored, promoted or administered by an individual, organization, or any other agency shall be considered organized.
a. Same Season/Same Sport: A student shall neither practice nor compete as a member of a non-school team or as an individual participant in organized non-school competition in that same sport, except as provided for specifically below.
1. Fall Non-School Competition Exception: For fall sports, non-school competition may continue until the Tuesday following Labor Day.

Mar 26, 2013
HS coach allows practices but no games, most TB teams have one practice a week they call a "clinic" to get around restrictions.
CIF rules for all of California restrict players from playing games on outside teams during the season (Bylaw 600). The standard season for each team - and individual - is normally from the first interscholastic contest to the last one (Bylaw 511). The state does not restrict players from practicing, but your Section may have their own ban (e.g. San Diego). Since HS coaches are not allowed to do anything with their teams on Sundays (Bylaw 310), most TB teams hold their practices on Sundays to avoid conflicts.