HS coach In need of Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Patrick Murphy comment is a topic covered in HS coaching training. That is ... the kids need to learn to deal with coaching ... just like they will need to deal with bosses later in life.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
In my department we employ 5-6 college students as co-ops/interns every semester. If these kids work hard it could lead to full time employment upon graduation (it did for me 25 years ago). I am astonished at the students that have little to no work ethic show up late, miss work habitually, surf the internet, fall asleep during meetings, play on phones, etc.... (There is a different generational expectation .... As I am old school). High School athletics is meant to be part of you're overall education that teaches you life lessons that are required for you to be successful.

Patrick Murphy the coach at Alabama said it the best:
“Uncoachable kids become unemployable adults. Let your kid get used to somebody being tough on them! That's life, get over it."

This makes no sense. I have been advocating all along in this thread that working should NOT be penalized and a kid that makes a stab at doing both should be given a chance to show she can without punitive measures being taken before an actual on field issue shows up and not just because her attempt at overachieving might lead to a missed hour or two of practice.

How narrow minded is it to tell a kid who just got a job that if she misses a practice she won't play or is off the team? Why not wait and see if she can still play and then just address the on field issues as you see fit?

I am done with this thread now.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This makes no sense. I have been advocating all along in this thread that working should NOT be penalized and a kid that makes a stab at doing both should be given a chance to show she can without punitive measures being taken before an actual on field issue shows up and not just because her attempt at overachieving might lead to a missed hour or two of practice.

How narrow minded is it to tell a kid who just got a job that if she misses a practice she won't play or is off the team? Why not wait and see if she can still play and then just address the on field issues as you see fit?

I am done with this thread now.

The notion is that dealing with HS coaches and the commitment to a HS team, while being a HS student ..... helps prepare them to later deal with having co-op/intern job, while being a college student?

Dec 15, 2012
My point is that in general we as parents are quick to defend our kids with every excuse in the book, and when things don't go their way we jump ship. Let coaches teach our kids discipline and commitment. The coach may have a workable solution in allowing the player to make up practice time and still play.

Another solution might be to discuss with employer about shifting the players hours. It would depend on the job..... I do have some flexibility with our students at work but I need to know about it in advance. It does sound like this is a good kid (not lazy) that is discussing the situation in advance with the coach. We certainly do not have all of the details of this situation. I do believe that this is a good reminder for us to have team rules defined in advance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One of the things I notice about many parents is how good they can be in accessing every players strengths/weaknesses on the team ... with the exception of one particular player.

Parent A will go through a list of 18 or so players, describe each one's strengths and weaknesses ... and mentally I'm thinking, yeah this parent is pretty much spot on, this parent could be a coach ... and then the parent gets to their daughter, and their description is virtually 180-degrees out of sync with what the coaches are thinking.

Over the years this is something I've frequently observed.

It always amazes me how a parent can be so much in-line with what the coaches are seeing, and then miss the mark completely on one particular player.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
One of the things I notice about many parents is how good they can be in accessing every players strengths/weaknesses on the team ... with the exception of one particular player.

Parent A will go through a list of 18 or so players, describe each one's strengths and weaknesses ... and mentally I'm thinking, yeah this parent is pretty much spot on, this parent could be a coach ... and then the parent gets to their daughter, and their description is virtually 180-degrees out of sync with what the coaches are thinking.

Over the years this is something I've frequently observed.

It always amazes me how a parent can be so much in-line with what the coaches are seeing, and then miss the mark completely on one particular player.

It's because of those 'rose colored sun glasses'.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm out as well. Hey good luck to you guys and your dds.

Take care,

Darrell Butler

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
It's not my impression just from this thread that this is a case of parents doing anything. It's a high school girl who, for whatever reason, has decided to get a job. And that her missing 1-2 possible hours of practice out of 5 freaking days of practice is somehow a problem, even though she's being adult about it and trying to line things up in advance to make the best of the situation. Maybe she can find a travel ball team instead.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's not my impression just from this thread that this is a case of parents doing anything. It's a high school girl who, for whatever reason, has decided to get a job. And that her missing 1-2 possible hours of practice out of 5 freaking days of practice is somehow a problem, even though she's being adult about it and trying to line things up in advance to make the best of the situation. Maybe she can find a travel ball team instead.

If it were a possibility to be playing club ball at the time then that might be a good choice. Thing is, there aren't many quality club ball tournaments taking place for a good part of HS ball season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes