HS coach In need of Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I do not dumb down my practices. I raise the level of them so you have to keep up. Those who come to practice learn (and no matter what kind of stud you are there is always something to learn) and those who don't fall behind. Its a TEAM game not a individual I can do what I want game. I guess the work world is now I can leave when I want and arrive when I want and miss work when I want, correct?

Oct 19, 2009
When I was a sophomore in high school in 1970, my family ran a dairy farm. The second week of the season the guy my dad hired to help during the football season quit, I had to take over the milking and milking time was 4 AM and 4 PM. Practice was from 3:30 until 5:30 or 6 PM. The coach changed the practice times so I could be home to start milking at 4 or 4:30 PM. They had to let me leave school early on Fridays to milk so I could make the games and a few games my dad had to drive me to the games and at times I just barley made warm ups before game times.

I was pretty hard on me, but it taught me a lot about hard work and dedication, I still see that coach to day and always thank him for allowing me to play under these circumstances.

Our football team did pretty good that year finishing second in the state and I ended up getting a scholarship to play college football.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
To the OP, if this player is your only catcher, you are in big trouble, not because she is leaving early or being granted "special treatment". If she is your only catcher, you are an injury away from losing the most important position player on your roster (with all due respect to pitchers). If you have several weeks before your season starts, you have the time to at least develop a "serviceable" HS catcher, either as a back up, or as a starter. I would not count on one player and treat them differently (even though it may be appropriate to the circumstance). Develop other players to create competition. You may find your catcher might change her priorities if she finds herself playing behind another player.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I do not dumb down my practices. I raise the level of them so you have to keep up. Those who come to practice learn (and no matter what kind of stud you are there is always something to learn) and those who don't fall behind. Its a TEAM game not a individual I can do what I want game. I guess the work world is now I can leave when I want and arrive when I want and miss work when I want, correct?

the work world is where you need to arrive on time. then leave when you are supposed to. It is not really flexible. It is the extra curricular activity world where things should be flexible. That is why this girl should be allowed to be flexible in her softball practice so she can WORK.

As long as she can keep up with the team and performs well I don't see any reason she should be punished, benched, or anything else. If she starts lagging then the coach should take appropriate action for the sake of the team, but assuming there is a problem before there is one is narrow minded.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Now I better understand why CB felt the need to make the post that he made ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/25093-hs-coach-need-advice-4.html#post343238.

I'm okay if a solid player can't commit to the team. Sure, I'm disappointed that I won't be playing them, but I understand and respect their decisions ... and I will politely wish them well with their other endeavors. If I lose games because I don't have the talent, then so be it ... especially at the HS level.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Now I better understand why CB felt the need to make the post that he made ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/25093-hs-coach-need-advice-4.html#post343238.

I'm okay if a solid player can't commit to the team. Sure, I'm disappointed that I won't be playing them, but I understand and respect their decisions ... and I will politely wish them well with their other endeavors. If I lose games because I don't have the talent, then so be it ... especially at the HS level.

I wasn't aware you coached HS FFS, which team?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've never kept my identity nor my child's identity secret. Anyone who wants can look up my achievements and as I always say, it isn't me, its the kids. They have to buy into all of the sacrifice and dedication. I have been fortunate to have players who wanted to win and believed that I knew how to win. When I give advice on HS coaching, I do understand that there are terrible HS coaches out there. There are terrible TB coaches out there as well. FFS and some others have known me for a very long time. They have read my thoughts and have been members of sites where I have document what I have done throughout the years. As some of these guys know, I have been a HS, TB, and Rec coach. I have given several presentations to HS coaches throughout my state. I was asked by our Regional Superintendent of Schools to give a presentation to coaches of all HS Sports on how to build a program. Yes, ALL SPORTS! That is what my reputation is like in my area/state. I defend HS coaches because I've been one and know the mettle of so many of my colleagues. Robert, when I am giving you advice, its good advice but I don't know your situation. If you want to carry this further, pm me back.

We are all entitled to our opinions. My opinion is based upon my experience. If you are one who thinks that HS softball is meaningless then please exercise your option to have your dd skip the whole experience. Why would you want her to participate in a program that requires no dedication and commitment if that is what you believe about HS softball. JMHO!

Darrell Butler

Edited to add:

Just for fun, here are some quotes from my baseball coaching days. The comment about 20 runs ahead was when we were in a tournament and destroying a team more than twice our size. The coach asked us to destroy them to teach his players a lesson. The last quote on the second page might irritate some of you.

http://www.successories.com/iquote/author/43327/darrell-butler-quotes/2

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The training of HS coaches emphasizes the teaching of life lessons. Believe it or not ... but much of the training that HS coaches receive emphasizes that only a small percentage of HS players will go on to play at a high level ... and they emphasize that they are more interested in the teaching of life lessons than on simply winning games.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
the work world is where you need to arrive on time. then leave when you are supposed to. It is not really flexible. It is the extra curricular activity world where things should be flexible. That is why this girl should be allowed to be flexible in her softball practice so she can WORK.

As long as she can keep up with the team and performs well I don't see any reason she should be punished, benched, or anything else. If she starts lagging then the coach should take appropriate action for the sake of the team, but assuming there is a problem before there is one is narrow minded.
oh ok...I shouldn't teach life lessons..come when you want to play then...sorry just totally disagree and so do 100%of my parents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06