How to teach girls to slide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
GetDirtyFasptitch.com sells a set of DVD's that includes step by step instructions showing how to teach sliding from starting to advanced. Selfless promotion since they are mine I know, but if you really want players to understand how they can do it without fear they are available. All 5 of the DVD's show 3 players of different size/age learning from the ground up and also illustrate correction points when they do it wrong. Big difference between slip/slide and wet grass is that neither offer any friction, so girls can learn totally the wrong mechanics but get away with and then tear their bodies up when they actually encounter a surface which does provide friction.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Here in the northeast, the weaher isn't conducive to using the slip n slide till the spring season is over.

When my whole U12 needed to learn to slide, I got some poly dropcloths and baby powder.

I took the girls in groups of 3 while the rest of the team was having their regular practice, and explained sliding basics. Laid out the poly on a grassy area (soft) and dusted liberally with baby powder and had one kid stand on each of the two front corners. players (in socks) would run and try to slide.

each player would keep doing it over and over until they demonstrated that they at least kind of got it, then they would switch with one of the corners and the next player would try. after all had proven some level of understanding, they would return to practice ( the best one would stay to demonstrate for the next group) and send over the next 3.

The following year when I had to teach half of the team/new players how to slide, we did it pre-season, indoors on a basketball court. had them wear sweatpants or pajama pants. two coaches held a bat about waist high and the girls would run in, grab the bat, swing under it and slide. it didn't take long before most of the girls were just sliding under the bat. because half of the girls already knew how to slide, the new players caught on more quickly.

the girls had a lot of fun with both of these. sometimes at the end of indoor practice I would give them a choice of what to do for the last 15 minutes- they would frequently choose this. it expanded into sliding contests where they would run to a line and slide to see who could slide the farthest.

I think in the beginning it's important to have small groups and multiple repetitions. if you're doing the whole team at once, just keep it moving. don't give them a chance to get distracted and start gabbing.

most importantly, approach it as a fun thing. for many girls, this action is counterintuitive, so don't let their fears take over, stress that this "drill" is for fun, period.

When you see a girl who couldn't slide in March, sliding under a tag in July- you (both) get one of those priceless validation moments.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Another suggestion for indoors: Go to a local lumberyard or large box store like Lowes and get 3 of the 4x8 sheets of 1" thick insulation foam board. Lay two of them down side by side with the shiny side up. Sprinkle with baby powder. Lay second sheet down with the shiny side down directly in the middle of the first two. Have the girls slide on the top piece of foam board. It offers some cushion and the foam boards slide easily; especially with the baby powder. The kids have a blast on this.

As noted above, arms and hands should be up. I teach my girls to make fists and put them flat on their chests and pretend their elbows are wings to keep the elbows, wrists and hands off the ground. Also, their toes need to point straight up towards the sky so they don't catch a cleat and break an ankle.

+10000!

This is what we do as well. You'll never have your team smelling any more fresh either.

We start out in the outfield on the boards. Then we move the boards to the infield (usually in front of 2nd base), and then we remove the boards completely. Start them young. T-ballers love doing this! It's the 12 year olds that have never slid that build up the stigma. Unfortunately there always seems to be "that one kid" that just won't do it. I'll let you debate how to deal with this one kid, but it will depend on what kind of team you are.

-W

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We did it with our new 10U team and now all but two slide and love it. As a matter of fact they ask all the time in practice if we can finish with sliding drills. First. We went out into the outfield grass. Two adult stood 10 feet away on either side of each runner that would approach. The runners would walk or job up slowly. The two adult would grab the player (on hand in armpit) and the other out around the elbow as a guide. The adults are merely lowering the girls onto their but and taking away the fear of dropping hard on their rear and getting hurt. Beware. Have plenty of strong adults ready to switch out as this gets tiring for the adult helping out. If done right the players will be moving through quickly and as the adults slowly drop the players down they can focus on their figure four form with the legs to ensure proper technique so not to get hurt in full on slides.
Second we built up to a practice where I bought a 15 heavy duty tarp (10x10). We spiked it down in the outfield and pulled out a hose to the tarp and made a heavy duty slip and slide. Then one girl at a time they run up and slide. With the slippery surface they will move through the drill so much and there is less ground resistance (like when in the dirt) so if they make an error on their form it is less likely to hurt them as they can slide right out of the bad form and you as a coach will see it and can discuss and correct it with them.
Good luck. Also...Laying out 2 opened cardboard boxes leading up to the base in the infield will also help reduce friction of the dirt and help with confidence in sliding into the bag. It is the third and last drill I used before moving into sliding drills without any props.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Some very good suggestions and methods to teach proper sliding technique here. I just want to thank you all for taking the time to teach sliding. As an umpire, I have worked in several rec leagues that had a "must slide on a close play" rule, but several of the league coaches did not take the time to teach the players how to slide. There have been many times that I have cringed to watch a player "slide" into a base with no idea what she was doing...a twisted or broken ankle waiting to happen.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Some very good suggestions and methods to teach proper sliding technique here. I just want to thank you all for taking the time to teach sliding. As an umpire, I have worked in several rec leagues that had a "must slide on a close play" rule, but several of the league coaches did not take the time to teach the players how to slide. There have been many times that I have cringed to watch a player "slide" into a base with no idea what she was doing...a twisted or broken ankle waiting to happen.

Having coached rec, let me just say in the coaches defense - it is hard to teach a girl to slide when she doesn't show up to practice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think you need to make the players slide and hopefully they will figure the rest of it out

For example if they steal 2nd they need to slide into the base regardless of the play.

Coaches have a bad habit of telling players to slide way too late and the players are going to get hurt.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I agree. But I have found the start of a slide also depends on the status of the field. The more loose the dirt is (like sand) the later you start the slide due it's ability to slow your slide down. The more compact and packed in the infield the earlier your start. I try to teach and explain this to my players before games. It is me being a softball nerd but I hope it helps avoid injury. I am really on my players about their foot technique and hands up to keep from getting hurt while working to master this skill.

I think you need to make the players slide and hopefully they will figure the rest of it out

For example if they steal 2nd they need to slide into the base regardless of the play.

Coaches have a bad habit of telling players to slide way too late and the players are going to get hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi