How To Make Yourself Stand Out At Softball Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
OILF, to each their own. Worked for me for a very long time and for more than a few hundred wins. I created programs and did the same thing in every program. Not one has experienced a losing season with the exception of one year in golf.

I find it interesting that in your school all sports have the same expectations. I would then suppose that those expectations were a state title. The reason why I find that interesting is that few know how to win and even fewer know how to create programs. Finally, your coaches give up their power to booster clubs? Wow!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My guess is Cannonball's letter was developed based on a specific set of circumstances or local attitudes. He wanted/needed to set the tone so everyone understands which behaviors are allowed and which are not. After a while it's probably not needed because the culture is established or known, but sending it out anyway reinforces that this is what's expected, and the fastest way to get on the cut list is to ignore it.

Others may or may not have the same needs and would prepare their letters accordingly. If your HS team will be made up of kids who have experienced competitive sports at different levels they probably understand the drill and don't need to be told. Or if they have no experience and are just hoping to make it they may not need to be told either. But there are always those who don't get that things need to happen according to a set of rules they may or may not agree with it.

When I used to fly small planes, the thing that was always drilled in to me is the pilots who are most dangerous are the ones with 100-200 hours of flight time. Those are the ones most often who have gotten past their newly minted pilot caution and think their skills are better than they are. It can be the same in sports. Lots of folks who over-estimate their skills - or the skills of their kids. Cannonball's letter establishes the Alpha pretty well.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I would say wear a bright color or a jersey with your name on it...not sure why the uniform guy did not mention that.

The latest thing in our area is the joint TB/HS coaches try and get the 9th graders on their TB teams before the season--preying on them because they so want to make the HS Varsity team. In one case, the player switched just about a week ago to this coach's TB team.

I wanted to go back and address your second statement, because it happens around here too. In fact, one of my students went for a second year on the travel team formed by her high school's varsity coach because it seemed like it would be an advantage for HS ball. As it turned out, travel ball apparently turned out to be a lot more work than the high school coach realized. Certainly more than HS ball, which is limited by the state.

So, instead of playing three fall tournaments as promised they've played none. I think they've had one practice since September and HS tryouts start next week so that'll be the end of that. Right now, they have three tournaments set up for the summer. Pretty much a wasted year.

Luckily, my student (a freshman) is a very good pitcher and hitter and has already been asked to fill in on an 18U travel team whenever she can. She will probably end up playing more games on that team than her own. So you're not alone.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If OILF didn't like that handout, she would hate my "Now that you have made the team" handout as well as my Parent Meeting Handout. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12